Forums Horror Collectibles
Why Hairing a Mask Sucks!!!!

Ok,

Ever nce I took my first crack at hairing a mask I've had a new found respect for any artist who can pull this off and it look half way descent. Honestly, I've tried the spray adheve approach as well as hot glue and rubber cement.

All have given me Masve headaches.

I even put rubber cement in a squeeze bottle and only left the small pin hole in the cap open for a couple days .. . still too messy to work with.

Hot glue seems to work the best for me but then you can feel the lines in the scalp if it dries to thick plus you have to be super fast when laying the hair before the glue dries.

Hairing is by far the most stressful part of mask making (in my very limited opinion, and I am by no means a profesonal at it).

Sam, Casey, Justin, Sean, Nicolas and all the rest . . . I'm in awe of your greatness!! Anybody get this frustrated with hairing?
DaShape Friday 1/16/2009 at 12:32 AM | 32127
Anybody get this frustrated with hairing?

Yes! (that's why my NO Dead Guy refurb still has the Telly Savalas look)

lblambert Friday 1/16/2009 at 01:14 AM | 32139
it just takes time and patience i hate to say. After you have done it several times, it will get eaer and eaer. Just make sure if you use any kind of toxic stuff to ventilate as much as posble and wear a mask. If you think hair gluing is bad....try hand punching...now that....is something all unto itself.

take care, Tommy
Homicidal9 Friday 1/16/2009 at 01:39 AM | 32145
Anybody get this frustrated with hairing?

Yes! (that's why my NO Dead Guy refurb still has the Telly Savalas look)

Well for what it's worth I like it without hair....

kweandee Friday 1/16/2009 at 05:33 AM | 32178
If you think hair gluing is bad....try hand punching...now that....is something all unto itself.

Oh man Tommy I don't even want to image hand punching LOL.

I've haired about 10-12 masks and it's still just as frustrating as day one.

You are absolutely right about patience when it comes to hairing, if you don't have it than good luck.
DaShape Friday 1/16/2009 at 05:38 AM | 32179
Ok,

Ever nce I took my first crack at hairing a mask I've had a new found respect for any artist who can pull this off and it look half way descent. Honestly, I've tried the spray adheve approach as well as hot glue and rubber cement.

All have given me Masve headaches.

I even put rubber cement in a squeeze bottle and only left the small pin hole in the cap open for a couple days .. . still too messy to work with.

Hot glue seems to work the best for me but then you can feel the lines in the scalp if it dries to thick plus you have to be super fast when laying the hair before the glue dries.

Hairing is by far the most stressful part of mask making (in my very limited opinion, and I am by no means a profesonal at it).

Sam, Casey, Justin, Sean, Nicolas and all the rest . . . I'm in awe of your greatness!! Anybody get this frustrated with hairing?

the reason you have trouble is because youre supposed to put the glue on the mask not sniff it
Johnny Bisco Friday 1/16/2009 at 09:33 PM | 32228
I've done a few hairing jobs for my personal collection. To start off with, I had purchased 2 1989 Joker Masks from the bay and both had hair problems. The first one I did was only Minor and was an easy repair. The guy had sent all the hair that came off in a seperate bag and I had to peice it all together for the 2nd mask. I used Hot Glue every time I did hairing. I had also did small hair spots on my Nate. That included washing the hair and combing it out to get a slick stringy look to it.

Where you guys get stressed, I can understand. As for me, I actually find this to be rather relaxing. Doing any kind of job that requires alot of atention and patients, I find to be relaxing. It's in my nature to love this kind of stuff. Call me weird...

I will admit that it can be a pain in the ass when you have very fine glue strings in your fingers and no matter how hard you shake your hands it just doesnt come off...

I'm NO profesonal by all means, but I may have a helpful tip to those who want to hair something with Hot Glue.

Make sure that the hair is held down by the roots. If you use hot glue all over and push down on the hair to make sure it's all held down, You may actually flatten the hair and it wont have any style. Just be sure that if you are doing the hair in layers, that the only place you glue is the roots and then over lap it on the next layer. You can put the layers closer together if you have enough hair and it will make for a thicker hair style and more full...

It's up to you, but make sure that you have all the roots to the hunk of hair your glueing otherwise you may have hair that doesnt get glued and it will pull/fall out...

--Ryan

Harry Warden Friday 1/16/2009 at 11:25 PM | 32238
Working with hair sucks with everything.

I absolutely DREAD doing hair work on my figures. It is almost always a complete nightmare.

DarkArtist81 Saturday 1/17/2009 at 09:48 PM | 32348