Forums Horror Collectibles
i discovered who made the original jason mask

the man who made the mask that was molded and changed into what you see on screen was made by a man named Ernie Higgins who made masks for NHL goalies from the mid 60s through 1980.

heres a few tidbits about the man and read these descriptions carefully as youll see it was his style.By 1965 goalie masks were becoming more accepted by the hockey world. It was at this time when a plumber from Norwood Mass. Ernie Higgins made his mark on the world of goaltending. Higgins made a mask for his son Neil and eventually word got around to a young Bruins goalie named Gerry Cheevers. Cheevers had been experimenting with a Lefty Wilson mask when he and veteran Ed Johnston decided they liked Higgins' work and each ordered a mask. Higgins’ work became the "Cadillac" of masks until the mid-70's. His masks were worn by countless pros and amateurs, Higgins made a great many masks (almost 3000 by 1980 when his nephew took over the operation) and his masks are immediately recognizable by the triangular ventilation slots on the cheeks, and the "T" formation (holes and in some older style slits) on the forehead. Higgins’ masks have become absolute clascs and are worth a lot of money to collectors today whether they were made for a pro or an amateur.

His masks set the standard for strength and style in the late 60's and early 70's. Higgins was probably the first profesonal goalie mask maker as he started his buness in Norfolk Mass. Making goalie masks and prosthetic devices.

Later Higgins enlarged his masks in such a way that he could add padding in the forehead nose and cheekbone area. Some of the later Higgins’ masks had a triangular hole pattern along the de of the mask around the ear area.well thats the info i dug up you ready to see the actual mask????well are you????? wait for it wait for ityou sure you want to see it? ladies and gents i think we have a perfect match!!!!!
Johnny Bisco Sunday 2/01/2009 at 01:36 PM | 33991
There was a cool issue in espn magazine about goalie masks. Of course jason had a section in the mag as well and I believe this guy was mentioned. Cool find Johnny.
quietonthesetstudios Sunday 2/01/2009 at 02:03 PM | 33992
i aim to please

Johnny Bisco Monday 2/02/2009 at 02:28 AM | 34057