Forums Horror Collectibles
Dying H9 Coveralls for my Halloween Costume

I'm already working on my Halloween Costume for 09.

I'm going as Myers from H2.I don't have a mask yet but I've gotten a hold of brown coveralls . . .. so I decided to work on the color today and . . . .. . . . .

I dyed the pair of brown Coveralls with Black dye . ..

I let them t for about 30 minutes thinking the dye wouldn't hold that much . . .WRONG.

After I washed and dried them I had on my hands a pair of Black coveralls lol.

I washed them a couple more times but the color wouldn't fade so I purchased a dye stripper.

Once again, my thought process was that the stripper wouldn't be able to take all the color away and it would leave me with tinted coveralls . .. WRONG AGAIN.

It not only took out all the dye but left me with brighter brown coveralls than I had when I started HAHAHAHAH.

So I re-dyed them with a different dark color but I'm still not happy.

Anybody got any suggestions?
DaShape Sunday 2/08/2009 at 05:19 AM | 34896
buy some from LSD

Johnny Bisco Saturday 2/14/2009 at 08:22 PM | 35894
you could always do what Mr. Bisco has suggested....or.....

just come to the realization that on Halloween night 99.9% of the people you run across will have no idea what the color of the coveralls are supposed to be and going through the dying, stripping, and redying process is almost a waste in the grand scheme of things...but then again, justin will probably make fun of you for it.... take care, Tommy
Homicidal9 Sunday 2/15/2009 at 07:00 PM | 35970
...but then again, justin will probably make fun of you for it.... take care, Tommy

PRECISELY TOMMY!!!!
Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Sunday 2/15/2009 at 08:25 PM | 35977
you could always do what Mr. Bisco has suggested....or.....

just come to the realization that on Halloween night 99.9% of the people you run across will have no idea what the color of the coveralls are supposed to be and going through the dying, stripping, and redying process is almost a waste in the grand scheme of things...but then again, justin will probably make fun of you for it.... take care, Tommy

HAHAHAHHA, Justin was here watching me do this . . .and yes, he was laughing . . .a lot
DaShape Wednesday 2/18/2009 at 04:59 PM | 36432
I would suggest that you watch the

coveralls while you die them. I usually hangout near it and check every couple of minutes. To see what the real color is I wring out a small portion of the sleeve and that is usually the color it turns out. To lighten something I fill a laundry cap to the second or third line with bleach then pour it into my washer machine. After a few seconds I throw the clothes in and let it go through a full wash. I'll repeat that again until it's the color I want, then wash it with soap and no bleach. Remember when you dry it out it will be a shade or two lighter.
weaponx Wednesday 8/12/2009 at 01:18 AM | 52025
I've found out for instances like this to do it in layers.First, wet the clothing.

You want to mix up some dye solution, I'd say dark brown for what you are trying to do... but not that much... heavy on the water... Dye the suit entirely in that heavily watered down solution.

The dye should be nice and subtle, giving you a lighter shade than what you wanted.

Second, put some dye into a spray bottle (making it a bit thicker this time, but not too dark) and soak the clothes down in areas that you want heavy wear.

After you do that first layer, you can spread it out with your hands by rubbing the fabric along the edges of the spots you hit.

I also find that for this method, you can use a paint brush and splatter the dye on the clothing for a nice random effect.

Do this repeatedly with black and brown, ung heavier

mixtures for heavier stains and repeat the steps.

Use a metal file to wear down areas of the coveralls that you want filthier and more worn.

Also, a good trick for dirtying coveralls is to get flat black and light brown spray paint, and mist them a bit here and there to add dark filth.

This works great, and isn't noticeable to anyone that they are not actually dirty.

I did this with my Remake Jason jacket, and pants.

The shirt I used the above dye method.
DarkArtist81 Wednesday 8/12/2009 at 09:51 PM | 52058