Wild Country might be

the first Scottish horror film I've had the pleasure of watching. It was filmed in 2005, (though it just became available on DVD in the U.S. in December 2008.) It was made with a relatively small budget and stars a mostly unknown cast.

The story goes as follows. A Catholic youth group goes on a campout on the moors (won't people ever learn to stay off the moors at night?) While there, they are attacked by a wolf-like beast. The rest of the night they are picked off and slaughtered one by one. While it's a fairly typical plot, it is done very well with a fair amount of suspense and some good amounts of gore.

The two biggest problems I had with the film were the accents, and the sound. The acting was excellent, but all the actors had heavy Scottish accents which at times were hard to understand. I was also dissapointed that the audio was only 2.0 Dolby Digital.

Other than those two minor issues, it was an overall enjoyable film. Well written, suspensful, decent f/x (although no transformation scene) and good direction. An above average werewolf film on a below average budget.
Bloodwave DVD Monday 2/09/2009 at 04:41 AM | 35014
i didn't even know this had come out yet. I just read a write up on it in a recent issue of Fangoria. I gotta check this one out.

take care, Tommy
Homicidal9 Monday 2/09/2009 at 10:33 PM | 35097