Forums Horror Collectibles
"Nightmare on Elm Street" Remake gets a director

From joblo.comCrispy teen-killer Freddy Krueger is returning to haunt dreams, courtesy of Michael Bay's Platinum Dunes production company and their ongoing efforts to repackage your old-school horror memories. And it sounds like the talon-fisted slaughter machine of NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET has a director.

Dunes and New Line have apparently brought in Samuel Bayer to restart the fire under the Freddy franchise. Bayer, who's had a successful muc vid career ever nce "Smells Like Teen Spirit" in 1991, has been kicking around a couple other Dunes projects, the now-staked NEAR DARK remake and the original (gasp!) thriller FIASCO HEIGHTS.

Veteran screenwriter Wesley Strick (CAPE FEAR, ARACHNOPHOBIA, DOOM) was last tasked with delving into the background of the bastard son of a 100 maniacs, and his strange attachment to nubile brains and striped sweaters.

Honestly, of all the remakes this is the one I'm most skeptical about.

Obviously they'll go nuts with CGI for the dreams . . . .

but I think they should only use CGI if we can't tell it's CGI.

I love the dream sequences in the original, I'm sure CGI could tweak them a bit but I hope they don't go overboard.

Plus lets talk Freddy. Unlike Myers, Jason or Leatherface . .. Freddy isn't just a mask that any random person can dawn.

Freddy Krueger is Robert Englund and any attempt to make the new Freddy look milar to that would just be a disaster in my mind.

I think they should COMPLETELY recreate Freddy's look from scratch . . .make the burns look more like real life burns, ditch the sweater . . . get down and dirty with the whole child molester thing (not gross out but scary real . . . if they did this movie up right serious this could be really unsettling and scary).

I actually have bigger opinions about this remake than all the others . . . and Nightmare isn't even my favorite.

I just think there is a way to do this right to where it could be mad crazy good . .. . but will they do it this way?

I can only DREAM!!! WHOOHAHAHAH

DaShape Thursday 2/12/2009 at 06:20 AM | 35464
I really hope it's doesn't suck....
kweandee Friday 2/13/2009 at 02:35 PM | 35593
this movie is going to

SUCK
Johnny Bisco Friday 2/13/2009 at 07:22 PM | 35653
this movie is going to

SUCK

I hope your wrong but I've got a feeling you are going to be right on this . . .I'll still wait to see it obviously before I come to any concrete concluons but of all the remakes . . . .this will be the hardest to pull of.
DaShape Friday 2/13/2009 at 10:08 PM | 35697
this movie is going to

SUCK

I hope your wrong but I've got a feeling you are going to be right on this . . .I'll still wait to see it obviously before I come to any concrete concluons but of all the remakes . . . .this will be the hardest to pull of. that alone should tell you this will suck

Freddy IS Robert Englund and he cannot be replaced with anyone period. he gave him character, he wasnt some faceless killer in a mask he was the Henny Youngman of slashers how can he be replaced?

bedes if michael bay is behind it you know its gonna suck
Johnny Bisco Friday 2/13/2009 at 11:22 PM | 35729