hey guys,

My wife picked up a new film by the name of Shiver this week and we finally got a chance to t down and watch it.

Shiver comes to us from director Idro Ortiz and art direction by Pilar Revuelta, who won an oscar for Pan's Labryinth.

In other words, they are a couple of Guillermo Del Toro's friends.

The film stars Junio Valverde of the Devil's Backbone(if you have not seen this film, go see it now!!!). Valverde plays the character of Santi, who was born with a rare disease that makes him allergic to sunlight. After years of being taunted and beaten up by bullies, he and his mom decide to move out into the country where the sunlight isn't as intense. No sooner do they move in and Santi starts making friends, people start getting killed all along the countryde.

Of course, you can guess who the villagers automatically think is doing it. I recommend this film to anyone and everyone who may even remotely be a fright film fan. IT has elements of a monster movie, vampire movie, supernatural movie, etc...

The acting is outstanding, the cinematography is amazing and the story is a hybrid of real life/urban legend all rolled up into one.

While there isn't a whole lot of gore, there is definitely enough to satisfy most fans.

The entire film has a very creepy, very atmospheric feel to it.

Shiver is definitely one of the better horror/thrillers i have seen in quite some time.

Now...for what some people may perceive as being the bad stuff. It is a foreign film....spanish specifically.

You can either watch it with english subtitles or english dubbing. For the love of God, please do not destroy this film by watching it dubbed. The corny english dialogue really hurts the film as does must dubbing nowadays. Watch it in its original Spanish glory. If you cannot read by now, then you shouldn't even be on this messageboard.

Do not miss the chance to see this film. It is out on dvd right now.

take care, Tommy
Homicidal9 Saturday 2/14/2009 at 03:52 PM | 35858