Forums Horror Movie Talk
TOP SHOCKING Horror Movie Endings

There are NO spoilers in this thread. None. Although I will mention the movie by title I will not give away anything. This post is the 6 most shocking endings in a horror film that really catch you off guard... and you should watch the movies and experience it. So I wont be typing anything about the ending or the 'shocking twist'. So without further here they are . . . #6 xth Sense: Shyamalan tries too hard I think and I've cared less and less for each new film he releases but 'The xth Sense' came out of no where and blew audiences away!!

I think this film's success had to do with word of mouth.

It was right before internet movie blogging was getting big so spoilers weren't at our finger tips.

The xth Sense was shot in such a way that a second viewing was almost necessary and only then would you realize the genius behind this movie.

#5 The Mist:

Some people liked this film, others hated it but you have to give it props for that balls to the walls ending.

It was so unlike the predictable Hollywood endings that I think my jaw was dropped when I saw this for the first time.

I read where the director swapped money for this ending.

The studios only allowed this ending to make it to final cut because the director shot the film on a smaller budget than originally planned . . . hence why some of the visual effects suffer.

Still, gotta love that ending!

#4 SEVEN: Starring Morgan Freeman and Brad Pitt SEVEN was a shocking movie and ealy one of the best crime thrillers ever made. To this day I can honestly say I didn't see that ending coming not even by a long shot.

SEVEN so dark, so depresng, so twisted, SO INCREDIBLE!!!

#3 Invaon of the Body Snatchers. This movie is a clasc and I know a favorite of many of you and high on my list. A fantastic scifi horror tale its a definite must see movie and has a great twist ending that is sure to make you grin and feel all warm and fuzzy inde.

#2 SAW: SAW was one of the few really creative and genius films in a long time and the twist to this film was absolutely the definition of creative film making and writing. This film was made for cheap but made a killing at the box office.

Some people hate this franchise but I feel the original needs to stand alone for it's originality.

If there weren't any sequels I'm willing to bet this film would stand much higher in the horror community.

(remember, this was an indy film)

#1 Psycho: Who gets the number one spot?

Non other than the master himself, Mr. Hitchcock.

Psycho was a bold movie.

In a time when film censorship was high the 'mother' of slasher movies was born.

Yet, is it really a slasher?

Regardless of what genre it falls in, Psycho inspired many horror movies to come.

One of the film's best characteristics was it's finale.

Remember, this was back before shock/twist endings were around . . . Psycho was a pioneer in the evolution of horror films.

So what movie endings moved and shocked you? Please note that the comments are FREE REIGN for spoilers and plot give aways so do not read the comments if you have not seen the above movies or do not want them spoiled!
DaShape Wednesday 2/25/2009 at 06:34 AM | 37483
Good list. The only one I haven't seen yet is The Mist... and I plan to. An ending that really shocked me and stayed with me the first time I saw it was that of Sleepaway Camp! Creepy shit too.
Myers31TKD Wednesday 2/25/2009 at 07:06 AM | 37492
Good list. The only one I haven't seen yet is The Mist... and I plan to. An ending that really shocked me and stayed with me the first time I saw it was that of Sleepaway Camp! Creepy shit too.

Sleep Away Camp? Really? I haven't seen it.
Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Wednesday 2/25/2009 at 07:07 AM | 37493

You're kidding! Clasc ending man... and pretty good flick for one with such a low budget. Rent it. NOW!
Myers31TKD Wednesday 2/25/2009 at 07:08 AM | 37494

You're kidding! Clasc ending man... and pretty good flick for one with such a low budget. Rent it. NOW

yeah I can almost see the VHS box way back in the day at our local movie house. When did it come out?
Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Wednesday 2/25/2009 at 07:12 AM | 37497
The original Sleepaway Camp came out in 1983... near the peak of the campy slasher era.

It's first sequel actually stars Bruce Springsteen's ster!
Myers31TKD Wednesday 2/25/2009 at 07:16 AM | 37500
The original Sleepaway Camp came out in 1983... near the peak of the campy slasher era.

It's first sequel actually stars Bruce Springsteen's ster

no joke! I know I remember seeing it when I was young. I'll have to check it out, sounds like slasher goodness!!!!
Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Wednesday 2/25/2009 at 07:17 AM | 37501
I'd reccomend it... if for nothing else but the twist at the end. Like I said... pretty creepy. I bought the "Sleepaway Camp Survival Kit" when it came out (movies 1-3)... but I'm a sucker for cheapo slashers. But yeah, see the first one! You should like it. ;)
Myers31TKD Wednesday 2/25/2009 at 07:22 AM | 37503
I'd reccomend it... if for nothing else but the twist at the end. Like I said... pretty creepy. I bought the "Sleepaway Camp Survival Kit" when it came out (movies 1-3)... but I'm a sucker for cheapo slashers. But yeah, see the first one! You should like it.

you need to post a thread about all the good ones to watch, I would love to start knocking them off one by one.
Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Wednesday 2/25/2009 at 07:23 AM | 37504
I definitely have to agree with The Mist ending... I definitely didn't see that one coming.

oh and Sleepaway Camp was awesome!! I loved the whole series! That is a must see!! The first 2 were my favorite!
KimmyBlanks Wednesday 2/25/2009 at 04:17 PM | 37561
Im going to have to borrow three mentioned already:

THE MIST....great film; BLEAK ending.

SEVEN....again: BLEAK and f'd up ending SLEEPAWAY CAMP......the shocks of all shocks!

HIGH TENON....one of my favs of recent flicks; hafta admit i didnt see it coming DEATH PROOF...i didnt see stuntman Mike getting all soft like that
ny ghoul Wednesday 2/25/2009 at 04:29 PM | 37564
Wow, i totally agree with you about the mist! I did not see that coming..

Hatchet had a pretty shocking ending aswell.. but not compared to the ones on the list here!
Capnvlad Thursday 2/26/2009 at 02:02 PM | 37711
TERROR TRAIN shocked me good!
Michael Aspinwall Thursday 2/26/2009 at 04:08 PM | 37751
Definately the Mist and I'd say the Dawn of the Dead remake....both I remember saying to myself "Damn...after all that" lol :)
kweandee Thursday 2/26/2009 at 05:22 PM | 37761
xth Sense and The Mist are on top of my list of best ends. and what about Dawn of The Dead (remake)? That end is cool either. I love ends where nobody stay alive!
LÜCKMANN Friday 2/27/2009 at 07:14 PM | 37922
I would a agree with DaShapes list. But instead of xth Sense I would choose Angel Heart/Mickey Rourke
kaizu Sunday 3/01/2009 at 04:41 PM | 38118