Forums Horror Collectibles
DA's first Hock! NECA Remake repaint (still in progress)

Hey guys, been working on this all night... calling it quits for the night, but I wanted to share my progress.

I sanded it completely, started from scratch.

I took off the straps, as they were crap..

It's about 75% there, I overdid it in a few areas... but it's my first mask at this scale... so be gentle.

I should have finished pics up sometime during the weekend....

DarkArtist81 Friday 2/27/2009 at 05:42 AM | 37852
now wait is this full zed? Amazing work Josh, I am loving the scratch detail work and the weathering looks great. I want one of these so bad but our Toys R Us hasn't even heard about these!

Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Friday 2/27/2009 at 06:11 AM | 37855
Yep! Josh, the scratch detail over right eye is great! Freaking insane! I can't believe this is a full ze mask, is it? Dude, I'll never be tired to say you are a great artist! Congrats Josh! Awesome job!

LÜCKMANN Friday 2/27/2009 at 10:36 AM | 37870
That's awesome!!!
Michael Aspinwall Friday 2/27/2009 at 03:23 PM | 37902
Thanks guys, I was worried going into it... being my first full scale mask work..

But I am very happy with the results so far.

It came out much better than anticipated.

I still have some weathering to do, so I will update this thread again when it is complete.

DarkArtist81 Friday 2/27/2009 at 03:33 PM | 37904

This looks 10x better than what Neca originally produced!

You are a great artist and you have a lot of talent.

I look forward to seeing the final product.

Thanks for sharing.

Rock on.
Insomniac Friday 2/27/2009 at 05:01 PM | 37915
Doing mighty fine I'd say.
DrenTheLiar Saturday 2/28/2009 at 02:50 PM | 37990
So are these Neca Masks going to be rare?

Seems many people are having a hard find finding them at $20.00 store prices.
DaShape Sunday 3/01/2009 at 05:28 AM | 38068
So are these Neca Masks going to be rare?

Seems many people are having a hard find finding them at $20.00 store prices.

that's a great question. I picked up one of these tonight and WOW it is nothing short of amazing. The quality is fantastic. Sure the paint could be a bit better but not for $20. Hell they could have ealy, EALY sold these for $50 and I would have paid it. The things are thick and very well made. It is the heaviest hock I have ever owned....

Are these going to be really limited or do you guys think they will keep pumping these out. I would like to get a couple and try my hand at painting a few....
Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Sunday 3/01/2009 at 06:02 AM | 38073
DA... Damn bro! Are you sure you've never painted a full ze hock before? This is some series shit here bro! Great Job! I found one on the bay and sometime when I can aford to, I am going to nail another so I can try my luck at painting one... What kind of paint did you use? Regular Acrylic Paints or wha???

FOR THOSE WHO CAN'T FIND THESE... YOU CAN GET THESE OFF FeeBay...

Type in Neca Remake Hocky Mask...

They sell them without the display shadow box and with the box...

I picked mine up for 30.00...

--Ryan
Harry Warden Sunday 3/01/2009 at 07:21 AM | 38081
Well here is the finished paint up...just waiting on straps to finish it completely.

But I am really happy with the outcome.

DarkArtist81 Monday 3/02/2009 at 03:53 AM | 38167
And to answer your question Harry, I sanded it down.. followed that with a even spray of Almond acrylic on top of that. I dremeled my damage into the mask, did a wash of brown with Acrylic paint...

The next step involved weathering powders, several layers of that, clearcoated at each interval.

I came back with some black and browns (acrylic paints) in several areas to give it depth and deep filth in the cracks and grooves.

I then did a final weathering powder run on it, sealed it and we are done.

It was a LOT of fun.

I am already hooked, and have some Frightstuff blanks on the way to tackle a few other masks.

I think that I will expand my buness to include Hock painting as well, once I get my own under my belt that is.

Once I get the next two done, I will officially add that service to my store.

DarkArtist81 Monday 3/02/2009 at 03:57 AM | 38169
Wow that came out beautiful!

Looks very profesonal.

If I didn't know any better I would say that's a screen used mask.

Great job.

Keep up the excellent work!
Insomniac Monday 3/02/2009 at 03:36 PM | 38194