Forums Horror Collectibles
Diary of the Dead - Spoilers inside

Diary of the Dead - 2007 Director: George Romero

So I went to the rental decided to pick this movie. I haven't seen this yet, shame on me.

What I could see were a bunch of teenagers making some kind of Scary Movie. I was assuming it was a horror movie, about zombies attacking people, like others jobs from Romero. It was one of the worst zombie movies I ever seen. Don't take me bad, it was cool in some parts, like make-up effects and deaths, mainly the last death of the girl hanged on a tree. That was cool...

The story The movie starts with the kids making some kind of horror movie, and then goes directly to a trip through the hell of zombies. It ends when almost everybody dies of disturbing or stupid ways. The good thing: zombies are slow, as they must be. And then what? A couple of talking with no sense between Jay and his girlfriend! It was really necessary? And WTF are those guys making an army inde the hangar? For godssakes! The teacher killing zombie with arrows??? What is he? A Robin Hood?

My opinion is that Romero took a shoot in his own feet with this. It's not a movie like Dawn of the Dead, it's something between Shawn of the Dead and some scenes from Evil Dead 2.

Needed to say that I don't like?

From 0 to 10, I give it 5 (because Romero)
LÜCKMANN Friday 2/27/2009 at 02:15 PM | 37894
Bro...I have avoided this at all costs. Im embarassed to admit it is Romero. but you're review tells me I should at least watch the maestro's film even if it is his worst.
ny ghoul Friday 2/27/2009 at 05:46 PM | 37918
I actually liked it alot...lol don't kill me. You want a bad zombie movie try Zombie Nation. :)
kweandee Friday 2/27/2009 at 06:11 PM | 37920
Yes Des, sometimes I think I'm too critic, but we have to agreed in some points on this movie: it sucks! Oh, and I saw Zombie Nation. In fact I own the DVD, 'cos I collect them dispite it's a crap or not And go ahead NYGhoul, you NEED to see it to get your own opinion. If you have something better to do, don't waste your time. Save your money and get another film, bro, but someday you'll have to see this film, for Romero....
LÜCKMANN Friday 2/27/2009 at 07:21 PM | 37923
Most of the time I hate movies filmed ung "shaky cam".

But, I liked this one.

Luckily only parts of the movie are filmed that way.

Not Romero's best zombie flick, but it's not horrible.

There's enough mayhem, zombies, and gore to keep the story interesting.I love how Romero adds a little social commentary to all of his films, and this one was no exception. You begin to hate the guy with the camera for just filming and not helping, but he did have his reasons.

The conflict of whether to help or document is what really saves this movie.

I'd give it a 6.5 or 7
Snoballz Friday 2/27/2009 at 10:55 PM | 37937
I'll check it out......sadly more zombie flicks SUCK than not so maybe DIARY will be a step down for Romero but still be above the gaggle of horrible zombie flicks. Some of the worse Ive seen....ZOMBIE LAKE; AUTOMATION TRANSFUON and recently I half assed watched some new shit movie thats being advertised like crazy.
ny ghoul Friday 2/27/2009 at 11:20 PM | 37938
Yeah Luckmann I woul also give 5 or 4 stars to this movie. I like romero stuff but this move aaaaahhhhh was not so great. But I have to admit movie is watchable, it better than The Feast 3.
Klempo Saturday 2/28/2009 at 11:02 AM | 37975
I love how Romero adds a little social commentary to all of his films, and this one was no exception. You begin to hate the guy with the camera for just filming and not helping, but he did have his reasons.

Exactly...Romero made his Dead movies as social commentaries that use zombies metaphorically. I thought in this case Romero really gave us something to think about. If you're a fan of Romero and understand what his movies are really about then you'll enjoy it. I can see how people just looking for a straight-up zombie gorefest would be disappointed in this one, however I think they're really misng the much larger picture.
lblambert Sunday 3/01/2009 at 02:55 AM | 38054
I love how Romero adds a little social commentary to all of his films, and this one was no exception. You begin to hate the guy with the camera for just filming and not helping, but he did have his reasons.

Exactly...Romero made his Dead movies as social commentaries that use zombies metaphorically. I thought in this case Romero really gave us something to think about. If you're a fan of Romero and understand what his movies are really about then you'll enjoy it. I can see how people just looking for a straight-up zombie gorefest would be disappointed in this one, however I think they're really misng the much larger picture.

You're probably right Lee, but I was thinking, comparing to others Romero's movies, what he really want to say with this flick? I can't see a social message hidden on this movie as well. Only what I can see is some dumb teenagers, like the guy with the camera, with dumb speaks making dumb roles... Maybe you're talking about teens conflicts, but is the same way I can't see this. Anyway, I'm sure the most of the movies have a sense hidden, even gore or slasher movies, but I'm not sure if they work for people like me, that love Romero's job for the fun, not for the social impact that it can cause.
LÜCKMANN Monday 3/02/2009 at 12:09 PM | 38184