Forums Horror Movie Talk
THE WATCHMEN

LOVED IT!!!

One of the most accurate movies to a book (graphic novel) I've seen.

However, I'm biased because I'm a huge fan of the Graphic Novel.

It met my expectations and I can't wait for the extended veron on DVD.

If you've not read the book you may not like this film, it contains many details that you'd probably over look if didn't already know.

Still, this is not your typical comic book / super hero movie (it's not Spider-man or X-men).I'm not going to write a huge review because I could go on and on.

Just check it out . . . it's worth it!

(nice to see a movie that's plot and story driven for once).
DaShape Saturday 3/07/2009 at 04:48 AM | 38826
Just got back a few hours ago from seeing the very long awaited Watchmen movie and thought I would share my thoughts with my fellow dorks....

The film starts with the murder of the Comedian, I think it lingered a bit here, but that really didn't bother me. The thing that struck me immediately was how amped up the fight was. They made the human heroes seem a bit too strong, not just in this scene but throughout the film. It didn't bother me all that much in the end, save for one scene. But it does take you out of it a bit.

We are then treated to a bit of a history of the world of Watchmen, which was very nicely done. Lots of cool moments that were never in the comic, and some that were. I think it conveyed the mood of this story, and showed immediately that the heroes within that reality were flawed and subject to the same horrors as the rest of us.

Once the Rorschach bits start going, you really start to realize that you are actually watching this story that you've known so well for many years. It feels like De Javu in a way, almost like what it must be like to actually BE Dr. Manhattan. Every word is known, every action. So it does feel like watching a play you've seen a million times be made into a film. I had no issues with that at all, I was very pleased in fact... it's amazingly close to the comic itself.

The characters were all played well by the actors. I was really blown away by JDM as The Comedian, he was quite literally a perfect translation of the comic character on screen... Totally believable and multi-layered. JEH NAILED Rorschach, especially in the Psych scene and the final scene with his character... it was very emotional, nearly brought me to tears it was so well acted. Billy Crudup was perfect as Dr. Manhattan, playing his detachment to a T. I was mesmerized by his character, I loved him much more than I did in the comic...which shows how damn good he was in that role. Patrick Wilson pulled off Dan immensely well, I found myself attracted to the character more than I ever have. He is the one I probably could relate to the most, Patrick was able to balance out all of the character traits of Dan and even made him even more endearing than he was before. Malin played Laurie well too, but I think she lacked the emotional punch I wanted from Laurie. There were some meaty scenes there that I really wanted to FEEL that fell flat, I don't know if it was her acting or Zack directing her.. but it felt off somehow. Matthew Goode was amazing as Adrian, he just nailed the cocky nature of the character. The end was especially well acted, he made you feel it... it leaves you wondering whether Veidt was standing in Karnak a victorious madman or a broken man who did the greatest evil for something that might not matter in the long run. Overall, the cast was phenomenal... I can't complain. They all really did great work here.

The Alley fight.... well, this will be a geek anecdote for years I am sure... people will talk about it like they do about the Nuked Fridge in KOTCS or Greedo shooting first in SW. It was said that it was extremely violent... I didn't think so. It was over the top, but not gory or violent to me. The main issue I had here was that it felt wrong for Dan and Laurie as characters to go to the extremes they did during that fight. It wasn't that bad though, and it's a quick scene anyway.

I did miss the extra Rorschach scenes though, was sad to see them go. Especially the mask origin and the return to his apartment to retrieve his costume.

Dr Manhattan, as I said before was the best handled. The origin scene is a work of art, with beautiful muc and great cuts. It manages to put a lot of info in a short time span without seeming crammed.

The final showdown was great, and while I will miss the squid... I still think it works. It's still something mankind would rally to fight and would only earn world peace for a short time, not forever as Adrian dreamed. But I liked what they did, and they did make things a bit more emotional in the end...which I think was needed.

All in all, it was the best Watchmen movie we were ever going to get. I absolutely loved it, am not let down... I can't wait to see the Directors cut, which will be even better and more whole. It has flaws, but it's to be expected. I'm still shocked it was ever made at all. I'm already pumped to see it again later this weekend.

DarkArtist81 Saturday 3/07/2009 at 06:15 AM | 38829
A really good movie. But this was a tough one for me. I knew the story but hadn't read the book. It's a very character based movie and if you haven't read the novel like me some parts may drag on a bit. I loved the art style that Zack Snyder brings to the table. I thought the slow motion shots that he is famous for were used at the perfect times. This is not an action movie but when there is action it's intense. I think that the general public may get a really average feel for this film mply because your thinking comic book and action. This movie is so much more than that.
Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Saturday 3/07/2009 at 09:46 AM | 38836
ill wait for the dvd and rent it
Johnny Bisco Saturday 3/07/2009 at 11:08 AM | 38837
ill wait for the dvd and rent it

Good idea, if you don't know anything about it then don't spend the theater admison price (especially if you end up not liking it).Not that I don't want people to see this in theaters but it was so close to the book that like Booman said, it may go over the heads of general audience members.

If you end up hating it I'd rather you spend a couple bucks on renting it then $10 - $15 for the theater (There's nothing I hate more than dropping money on a film that I hate . . . I start to think about what else I could have used that money for - like gas).
DaShape Saturday 3/07/2009 at 04:55 PM | 38867
I was surprised that my Wife liked it, she had no idea what she was getting into.

There were some things she didn't understand, but overall she loved it.

Which was nice.

I was worried about that.
DarkArtist81 Saturday 3/07/2009 at 05:47 PM | 38875
I never read the comic but I loved the movie!!
Michael Aspinwall Saturday 3/07/2009 at 08:18 PM | 38903
I had never read the comic and I have never heard of the Watchmen until recently. I just got back from seeing this and it's a little tricky for me. I liked it, I found it very entertaining. But as far as saying it was a great movie, well I think I'll have to read th novel and see how milar they are before I make that acusation. All in all I think it was a good movie.
krueger4653 Saturday 3/07/2009 at 08:50 PM | 38905
hBeing a fan of the graphic novel (read it several times,own the book). I don't think I can look at the film the same way as someone being introduced to the story via film.

All I can say is, I didn't like it. Unlike alot of people. I usually do NOT like it when a film follows the source material so close. I've discussed this with others who have seen the movie and who's opinions I really value and respect. The fact of the matter is, when you follow a story so close, you have to be dead on, or the film doesnt work. mplified: Why pay to watch a movie that is exactly the same as the source material but shittier, in place of staying at home, or borrowing the actual source material, which inturn is 10X better. It's not always like this, but for Watchmen, for me at least, it was.

In terms of casting, thats usually where alot goes. Dr.Manhattan, Nite Owl, and The Comedian were all exceptional, and really well cast I thought. lk Spectre, as many have said, was awfull, I didn't enjoy her one bit. I also didn't quite like the portrayal of Ozymandias I thought the character was really flat and unenjoyable, as well as the fact that Ozymandias should've been much bulkier and more muscular, but hey, at least they tried something different, just I don't believe in the right spot. Jackie, while many have been praing him like hell, I didn't think he was all that special, I mean all he was doing was speaking in a scratchy voice, there was nothing there that caught made me think that he was anything extra ordinary. This is why when people use this performance as the main reason they think he will do wonders in the A Nightmare on Elm Street Remake I just can't see it. Then you have got people comparing his performance to Heath Ledgers joker, and even finding this one the better performance, it just astounds me.

As many have also said before, The slow motion was overused, just a small gripe, but yeah. OVerall It's probably useless saying all of this nce the DVD is out and such, just wanted to voice my opinions about this film, which is one of the ones I least enjoyed this year, perhaps less than X-MEN

Comparisons to tTHE DARK KNIGHT are useless, sure THE DARK KNIGHT isnt a perfect film, it has flaws. But it is much better than Watchmen, in almost every way that the two are comparable.

Well, thats all just my opinion, I respect you if yours differers, uneless your really stupid about it, so yeah. Thanks for Reading.
VenomShock Friday 11/13/2009 at 09:02 PM | 57962
I never did read the graphic novel but it's still a great movie. Rorschach is certainly my favorite character because not only do I love the mplicity of his costume but I love his character, his attitude. I love how the movie treats superheroes as nothing more than ordinary people running around in costumes (with the exception of Dr. Manhattan).
DrenTheLiar Saturday 11/14/2009 at 03:35 PM | 57981
While I admit the film wasnt comeplete garbade, as few films are. I still did not find the film nearly as captivating nor entertaining as the novel. Plus I felt that the graphic novel was better at pasng its messages. The film has them, and yet to me they felt sort of pasve, like they werent really focused on sending them, they just wanted them in there. Whilst the graphic novel really cemented in all of the messages it was giving, and just left you tting there sometimes thinking about it.

I do admit the film did do quite a few cool things. I like how the mask of rorschach is in constant flux. When you see it in the graphic novel, it's pretty much just different each panel. With the movie, you saw it continue to flux the whole way through, that was kick ass. Dr.M's calm voice was really good too. But yeah, the only portrayals I really thought were good was: Dr.Manhattan, The Comedian(he was epic), and Nite Owl II, other than that they all sort of fell flat for me. Not saying Jackie was bad, just saying I don't think he was nearly as great as everyone suggests, I didn't find him all that amazing.
VenomShock Saturday 11/14/2009 at 06:10 PM | 57984
I think you hit it right on the head with that rundown of the characters, I know late post but damn did lk spectre pale in comparison with most of the rest of the cast. I could seriously watch the Manhatten and Rorschach scenes till the end of time, they really rocked the hell out.
ironblade87 Saturday 12/26/2009 at 11:42 AM | 59523
LOVED IT!!!

One of the most accurate movies to a book (graphic novel) I've seen.

However, I'm biased because I'm a huge fan of the Graphic Novel.

It met my expectations and I can't wait for the extended veron on DVD.

If you've not read the book you may not like this film, it contains many details that you'd probably over look if didn't already know.

Still, this is not your typical comic book / super hero movie (it's not Spider-man or X-men).I'm not going to write a huge review because I could go on and on.

Just check it out . . . it's worth it!

(nice to see a movie that's plot and story driven for once).

I agree with you 110%. Great Book, great film. At first I disliked that they changed the ending a little bit. Now, I see why and it fits for anyone who didn't read the book.
TaRmAn1986 Monday 7/12/2010 at 01:19 PM | 65025