Forums Horror Collectibles
Warner Bros. Remaking Stephen King's "IT"

Are you really surprised?

"IT" always scarred me to death.

I'm not normally afraid of clowns but Pennywise still haunts my nightmares.

All hail Tim Curry.

Apparently they’ve hired Dave Kajganich to pen the screenplay adaptation. There's no way that the material could be cut down to fit into the standard 90 or 100 minute movie. The paperback is 1,104 pages, and the miniseries clocked in at 192 minutes (over 3 hours).

Could "It" bennifit from a redo? Probably. But as a 100-minute feature film?

The official book description follows: "They were just kids when they stumbled upon the hidden horror of their hometown. Now, as adults, none of them can withstand the force that has drawn them all back to Derry, Maine, to face the nightmare without end, and the evil without a name.
DaShape Friday 3/13/2009 at 07:16 PM | 39581
"IT" was never scary to me. It was a good movie, and had plenty of thrilling potential, but there was no scare feature of the movie.

Toss in the horrible, horrible ending and already bad acting (excpect for Curry), and this movie gets a B- at best.

I was never impressed with "IT". I think a re-make is deserving, but I do agree that they can't just make it into a 100 minute movie.
KeeterZ Friday 3/13/2009 at 07:29 PM | 39584
I agree I think the original was ok but could have sure been better (except Curry!) and I think with the right script and cast a remake might actually be worth it. I think it could be done in 2 hours if the script is well plotted.
ny ghoul Friday 3/13/2009 at 07:37 PM | 39587
I agree I think the original was ok but could have sure been better (except Curry!) and I think with the right script and cast a remake might actually be worth it. I think it could be done in 2 hours if the script is well plotted.

Well, half the damn movie is them trying to make lly jokes not to think about Pennywise, and then you listen to their corny laughing. Then, you watch as the only girl of the group tries to bang every main character.
KeeterZ Friday 3/13/2009 at 07:51 PM | 39593
IT was, by far, my favorite King book and I totally agree Curry's performance was the best thing about the miniseries. To be honest I thought the scariest thing was that they could make such awful crap out of such a good book.

This is one I'd be all in favor of remaking to hopefully get it closer to the book (like they did with the Shining remake). As one example, not that I'm criticizing Curry's performance at all, I'd like to see Pennywise look as he was described in the book. Unfortunately I don't see how a remake can get closer to the book in a 100 minute feature. I'd also be highly suspicious that this project would be approached with the wrong attitude and you would be stuck with another POS cash grab instead of a genuine attempt to improve upon the original (which actually wouldn't be that hard).
lblambert Friday 3/13/2009 at 09:31 PM | 39605
I really liked the movie growing up, was never scared of it though.

I had oddles and oddles of fun teang my clownaphobic friends with it. only complaint I ever had was it was just so fuckin long.... I'm not apposed to the remake but truthfully I'm really not apposed to any remake except maybe the never ending story....I mean that movie was just 100% perfect to me, seems so pointless and I think it will probably suck but anyways back to this remake..lol the only thing that would probably make me alittle blah about it is cutting 1/2 the original movie. It seems alittle much.

on a de note....that happens often with books turned into movies no? I mean I've heard that so many times that they took an awesome book made a movie out of it and fucked it up by most of it not matching the book they were bang it off of to begin with.
kweandee Saturday 3/14/2009 at 12:50 AM | 39634