Forums Horror Movie Talk
Let the Right One In...

I apologize if this film already has a topic, but I only went one page back. I saw this film the other night with my wife and we were both just completely blown away by it. I will say this now....if you ONLY like blood and guts, nudity, and violence for only violence sake...then stop reading now and move on to another topic...this isn't the film for you.

Now...if you like creepy, disturbing...very emotionally deep and charged horror...then seek out this film and watch it. The ending actually made my wife cry.

Let the Right One In is a German Film about a little outcast bullied boy who befriends a little girl who moves in next door to him.

He learns alot about self esteem, the hardships of lfe, friendship, and even love because of the little girl.

He also learns that the little girl...isn't exactly a little girl. I really cannot say much more than this without giving all of it away....great film for the deep thinkers and deep feelers of the horror set.

take care, Tommy
Homicidal9 Saturday 3/14/2009 at 05:15 PM | 39694
Agreed!

I can't say enough good things about this movie.

It was definitely one of the most unique takes on the vampire genre I've ever seen.

Nothing stylish or hip here, just the somber reality of what it must be like to be so different.

These foreign films are just knocking everything out of the park lately.

Now for the bad news . . . in case you haven't heard, it's being remade here in America, and I've read that it will be geared toward the teen crowd!

gummi Saturday 3/14/2009 at 06:59 PM | 39698
NNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

my wife actually made a comment about this at the end of the film... I quote...."you just watch Tommy, we are gonna take the beautiful film and FUCK IT UP AMERICAN REMAKE STYLE!!!"

i cannot believe she was right on the money...

take care, Tommy
Homicidal9 Saturday 3/14/2009 at 09:26 PM | 39704
NNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

my wife actually made a comment about this at the end of the film... I quote...."you just watch Tommy, we are gonna take the beautiful film and FUCK IT UP AMERICAN REMAKE STYLE!!!"

i cannot believe she was right on the money...

take care, Tommy

Yeah, hopefully the teenybopper part was just a rumor and they will actually do the film justice, but I definitely won't be holding my breath.

Honestly, I don't know if I'll even watch the remake.

It would be nice to not have to read subtitles, but other than that I can't think of a ngle thing that could be improved upon with this movie; it's perfect the way it is.
gummi Saturday 3/14/2009 at 11:57 PM | 39724
Tommy this is not a German movie. It is Swedish. They are speaking Swedish (Scandinavian) language. Anyway Remake?! Come on! This is just Bullshit!

The only think that was disturbing to me in this movie was showing a pussy from that little girl. I felt like a god damn pedophile. But the movie was great.
Klempo Sunday 3/15/2009 at 10:06 AM | 39775
The only think that was disturbing to me in this movie was showing a pussy from that little girl. I felt like a god damn pedophile. But the movie was great.

/ / Completely agreed . . . that kind of freak'd me out.

However, I watched this film last night.

I've been looking forward to it for it seems like at least a year.

I have to say, I wasn't the least bit disappointed and it actually exceeded my expectation (which were extremely high).

Absolutely in my top 3 best Vampire films of all time and definitely in my top horror films.

This movie was incredible, so much so I'm going to watch it again tonight just to soak it all in.

I can't say enough, acting, setting, plot . . . all top notch . . . and it was ORIGINAL!!!!!!!!!!!

It's got blood and scares but they serve the purpose of the story so if you only like slaughter house flicks this might not be for you.

As far as I'm concerned this should have been nominated for the best foreign film at the Oscars this past year (being completely serious).

We honestly need more horror films like this, full of story and art.

SPOILERS BEYOND THIS POINT

Please do yourself a favor and DON'T read beyond this until you see the film.

Set in 1982 Sweden, a vampire named Eli moves in next door to Oskar (a bullied 12 year old).

Oskar begins to fall in love with the bizzar Eli and even though he slowly begins to realize who or what she is . . . he's too far in to turn back.

That climactic scene at the pool . . . boy was that done well.

This movie does have blood and violence but you hardly see the actually attacks and you hardly see the money shot of gore . . .which actually make it THAT much better.

It leaves it up to your imagination.

The cinematography is really good and the use muc and absence of muc in key scenes compliments the film that much more.

We watch this film through Oskar's eyes and you kind of perceive the adults in this film through a child's eyes . . . very unique script.

The only thing I honestly didn't like (bede that shot mentioned in the post above) was the cgi cats . . . there were a few shots I didn't think looked real and kind of took me out of the story for a sec but these can be EALY over looked.

It was more of a split second annoyance than anything else.

I didn't hurt the film in my eyes.

I have to say that what completely went over my head was Eli's relationship with the older man during the first part of the film.

At first I couldn't figure out why he was helping Eli and murdering for her, perhaps he was her father?

It wasn't until that last resolution scene where Oskar is tapping moris code to Eli on the train that I realized that Oskar would one day become that man.

"LET THE RIGHT ONE IN" has a really complicated yet dynamic ending.

On the one hand you see Eli as a protagonist and you some how relate to her (even though she's killing people . . .killing so she could live) but then again she is a killer and a vampire so in a sense she's the evil.

I think we forget how bad she might be because she's in the form of a 12 year old girl and I think us (the audience) falls in love with her as Oskar does (nce we are following him along this journey).

We only see what Oskar sees.

So we now realize that Oskar has ran away from home to live his life serving Eli helping to keep her alive.

Well, we know what happened to the older man helping her in the beginning and you wonder if he met Eli when he was just a boy also . . . . and nce we know what Eli did to him . . .. makes me think she could have just seduced Oskar and she'll discard him when he has no further use.

The film doesn't just come out and say this, it's all kind of buried under the surface of the child like innocence we are presented.

Truly a sad love story to say the least.

This film was a multilayered story

. . . .

I've said it before and I'll say it again, "All the special effects, money or acting can't alone make a great film.

Only a GREAT script and story can make a great film.

All the other stuff should just compliment the story.

If you don't have a great script, all that other stuff can't save the film."

Seems foreign horror might be the way to go . . . at least they have originality (I love the french film "HIGH TENON" also.)

DaShape Sunday 3/15/2009 at 04:17 PM | 39792
sorry about the German slip up. I fully meant to type swedish, but had been looking up German horror films at the same time...thanks for the call out on that one.

the genital shot didnt shock me at all. It played its part in the movie. There is no way that was the actual girl body anyway...so no biggie to me...

i just cannot say enough about this film......outstanding in pretty much every way...

this film was supposed to be sent in for running in the best foreign film divion...but.....here is the kicker. The country the film is from has to nominate it and send it in...and Sweden refused to do it.......because it was a horror film and dealt with children....

take care, Tommy
Homicidal9 Monday 3/16/2009 at 01:45 AM | 39856
sorry about the German slip up. I fully meant to type swedish, but had been looking up German horror films at the same time...thanks for the call out on that one.

the genital shot didnt shock me at all. It played its part in the movie. There is no way that was the actual girl body anyway...so no biggie to me...

i just cannot say enough about this film......outstanding in pretty much every way...

this film was supposed to be sent in for running in the best foreign film divion...but.....here is the kicker. The country the film is from has to nominate it and send it in...and Sweden refused to do it.......because it was a horror film and dealt with children....

take care, Tommy

FINALLY TOMMY SLIPPED UP! I have been waiting for over a damn year now!!!!!
Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Monday 3/16/2009 at 03:04 AM | 39858
Just watched this again (two nights in a row).

Even better the second time but that is frustrating to hear Tommy . . . I wish Sweden would have submitted it, it deserved at least a nomination.

Once again horror is squashed when it come to the Oscars (we'll always have lence of the lambs).
DaShape Monday 3/16/2009 at 03:13 AM | 39859
Just watched this again (two nights in a row).

Even better the second time but that is frustrating to hear Tommy . . . I wish Sweden would have submitted it, it deserved at least a nomination.

Once again horror is squashed when it come to the Oscars (we'll always have lence of the lambs).

I can almost hear those little lambs screaming.

Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Monday 3/16/2009 at 03:21 AM | 39860
Once again horror is squashed when it come to the Oscars

True, true, true!
Klempo Monday 3/16/2009 at 09:24 AM | 39876

Seems foreign horror might be the way to go . . . at least they have originality (I love the french film "HIGH TENON" also.)

If you loved High Tenon, make sure you watch "Inde". It's fantastic, and may even trump High Tenon.

As for the movie being discussed, I just threw this in the Blockbuster queue to be delivered.
KeeterZ Tuesday 3/17/2009 at 06:07 PM | 39966

If you loved High Tenon, make sure you watch "Inde". It's fantastic, and may even trump High Tenon.

As for the movie being discussed, I just threw this in the Blockbuster queue to be delivered.

Cool I'll have to check out "INDE".

If it trumps "HIGH TENON" then I'm game for this film!

Thanks!
DaShape Wednesday 3/18/2009 at 05:12 AM | 39991
Rented this the other night on itunes....loved it

kweandee Tuesday 7/14/2009 at 01:04 AM | 50177
hmmm sounds like i need to watch this
Johnny Bisco Saturday 7/18/2009 at 02:33 PM | 50363
looks good
TekNik Monday 8/17/2009 at 08:03 PM | 52580
Hello everybody, greetings from Sweden. I have the benefit of having read the book before I saw the film, and I have met the author which is a friendly and really interesting, many-layered guy. I have a few small points to make, and if you do not want spoilers - skip the rest of this post!

Genital shot: I felt I needed to comment on this, nce it seems you all missed the real point, which is the absence of genitals. What you actually see is a scar where the genitals should be, and it raises the question if Eli started out life as a girl or a boy... It underscores that she in reality is both, or neither.

The "helping hand": In the book you get a little bit more information about the man that plays the role of Eli's "father". He didn't meet her as a boy, but as a fully grown adult. He IS a pedophile, and met Eli when he had been found out and outcast from society. She became his ever young daughter/lover/partner, but it was not an equal partnership. He is more or less a slave to his own feelings for her, while she is both drawn to him as someone else that is damned and revolted by him and his emotional dependence.

The film is one of my favorites, and I find it typical that the want to do a hollywood-remake.

I really DO hope they won't ruin the whole thing, but I'm not holding my breath.

If hollywood want's to do a film with John Ajvide Lindqvist, they should go for his book: "In human harbor" (disambiguation human port/human shape), which is both scary and surreal. If they did that, they would actually do us a favor.
MarcusF Sunday 5/09/2010 at 02:50 PM | 63795