Forums Horror Movie Talk
Gummo (1997)

Gummo is about a the lives of the remaining town members of Xenia, Ohio (not to far from me), in which a twister hit them a few years earlier. The twister killed nearly half the town, and destroyed a portion of it, and it seems that the disaster made majority of the people anti-social and mentally unstable.

The two, I guess you can say, main characters are Soloman and Tummler who go around killing stray cats for money.

The director (Harmony Korine) uses regular and videotape footage to shoot random scenes of townfolk and their antics, which at times can include, sniffing glue, beating the shit out of chairs, running about wearing pink bunny ears while pisng off bridges onto freeways, and pimping a mentally retarded wife out to young kids.

The movie isn't disturbing in a sense that they are homicidal, or anything like that. It's disturbing because they are so dirt poor that they take baths in dark brown water, wear the same clothes day in and day out (if any), and lead such boring lives that they have to entertain themselves with anything they can get their hands on.

This is one of the most random movies I've ever seen, but after sleeping on it, I enjoyed it.

Your thoughts?
KeeterZ Friday 4/24/2009 at 03:39 PM | 43837
Couldn't get into it at all. Same with KIDS and a few other films in the 90's.
ny ghoul Friday 4/24/2009 at 04:11 PM | 43841
I couldn't get into it either, but I watched it all the way through.
KeeterZ Saturday 4/25/2009 at 11:01 AM | 43999