Forums Horror Collectibles
Does anyone know anything about boats??? "Jaws Question"...

What Kind/Make Boat was used in Jaws as the "ORCA"???

Thanks Guys!!!

--Ryan
Harry Warden Sunday 4/26/2009 at 04:43 AM | 44071
A white one.
HorrorSanctum Sunday 4/26/2009 at 05:11 AM | 44073
I stand to be corrected but from what I've read both Orcas (they built 2) started life as

39' wooden Novi lobster boats. Joe Alves did so many modifications to them though that they were barely recognizable by the time the film was shot.
lblambert Sunday 4/26/2009 at 05:15 AM | 44075
I stand to be corrected but from what I've read both Orcas (they built 2) started life as

39' wooden Novi lobster boats. Joe Alves did so many modifications to them though that they were barely recognizable by the time the film was shot.

I KNEW IT!!!!!!!!!!! I knew they used 2 boats... One had Orca Written in red while the other was written in white...

Wasnt sure if they only used one and changed it to white half way through shooting or if there was indeed 2 boats...

NOW... My question is mpley this... My buddy went to Martha's Vineyard, NY for the te on Locations. He seen this boat on a land stripe across some river so I geuss and asked a boating guy there what it was. He said that it was the Orca from the movie Jaws... When they were done shooting the film they drug it up on the sand and left it there to rot...

Here's the pics...

NOW... like I said, My question is mpley this... Where is the second boat???

Him Pulling out a nail for collectors sake... lol He grabed me a chunk of wood from the back of the boat...

--Ryan
Harry Warden Sunday 4/26/2009 at 06:47 AM | 44087
Oh my god i think that is the boat, its still got the ladder on it. The back part looks the same

Pluto Monday 4/27/2009 at 12:37 AM | 44203
what if someone from Europe wanted to buy that...?

How much do ou think shipped would be?
DWN Productions Monday 4/27/2009 at 01:17 AM | 44205
there were two boats, the “Orca I” and the “Orca II”. The “Orca II” was a special effects boat degned to smash and nk when attacked by the shark. Made from fiberglass ung the “Orcha I” as a model, it resembled it in every superficial detail. The “Orca I” had no bottom, just a steel scaffold to which several barrels were attached. The barrels could be filled with water to nk the boat and then filled with compressed air to raise it again. The boat was built in levels so it could be dismantled and fitted into its storage shed. The engine hatch was made of balsa so it would splinter when the engine exploded. Three transoms were also made of balsa so they would break away when the shark crashes down on the end of the boat in the climax of the story.
Johnny Bisco Monday 4/27/2009 at 01:19 AM | 44206
what if someone from Europe wanted to buy that...?

How much do ou think shipped would be?

hahaha... You'd be looking at 3 or 4 days worth of labor, just digging it out of the sand... lol... He plans on going again sometime over the summer... If you noticed, there still is 1 "O" Screw in the top de of the boat that at one time had a cable attached that lead up to the crows nest. It just kept the pole from falling over... lol... When he goes again, I'm going along with and I am bringing a Crow Bar and a Hammer... I'm going to stick that crow bar through the "O" and turn that fucker out of there... It's comming with me provided nobody else nails it first... I am also going to pull out about 10 nails and I am going to grab that ladder if it's still there along with a few boards from the back or de of the boat...

I plan on making a HUGE DISPLAY with those pieces... I can't freaking wait!!! As far as I can tell, nobody claims the boat... The guy told my friend, that when they were done shooting the film, they just drug it on that strip of land and left it there to rot, half in the water and half on shore... It's been there nce 1975, which explains why the red and black outer body is misng along with the cabin and every damn thing else... lol... People have been gathering suveniers from that for years... Not to many people know about it, so I would geuss otherwise it would all be gone by now...

I just wish I could have either gotton the shark Jaws from it, or better yet, the steering wheel... That would have been AWESOME!!! Someone out there has it and they are lucky as piss... When he told me he found the boat, I nearly SHIT in my pants... I shit even more when he told me he got me a piece of the wood from it... Give me a few minutes and I'll post up my "Temporary" Display of it...

--Ryan
Harry Warden Monday 4/27/2009 at 01:29 AM | 44211
heres the second boat for you ryan
href="http://www.timeaxismedia.com/jaws25/Day3d.html">http://www.timeaxismedia.com/jaws25/Day3d.html
Johnny Bisco Monday 4/27/2009 at 01:34 AM | 44212
Here it is fellas...

And here is a photo of what 34 years can do to a boat...

--Ryan
Harry Warden Monday 4/27/2009 at 01:42 AM | 44213
ryan go to about 7:30 of this vid and take a good look at my last post i think the onbly boat left behind was the orca 2http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cRpoMpUgC0
Johnny Bisco Monday 4/27/2009 at 01:48 AM | 44214
I'm not doubting anything as that fishermen could have been pulling my buddys leg... However it does make me wonder why a boat around the same ze, looks the same, and looks like it's been there for a long ass time, and is in Martha's Vineyard on a sacluded stip of a sandy island thing...

This is definatly something I am not going to be able to rest until I know for sure rather or not it is indeed the Orca 1... HmmmMMMmmMMMMmmMMMMmmmm...

I need to research this... Big Time...

--Ryan
Harry Warden Monday 4/27/2009 at 02:01 AM | 44217
I mean if you look at that de by de comparrison... It just makes it soooooo hard to believe that it isnt the boat... Looks dead on...

Just misng the outer shell of red and black that covers up the first hole in the row of 3...

If that makes any sense... Is there any documents on what happend to the Orca 1 I wonder...

--Ryan
Harry Warden Monday 4/27/2009 at 02:06 AM | 44218
I'll find out for you. One of the producers of the new Jaws documentary is a friend of mine...he's a huge Jaws addict (owns the screen used Ben Gartner head) and if anyone knows what happened to the first Orca he will.

One of the rumors I've heard was that it was on display at Universal Studios in Hollywood and the climate rotted it pretty quickly. Have no clue if that's true or not.
lblambert Monday 4/27/2009 at 02:10 AM | 44219
Thanks Lee! And how I would "LOVE" to own the Ben Gardener Head!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Luckey Guy...

For the record, my buddys peice of wood has 2 VERY SMALL dots of red and black on it... Very hard to see, but I examined it closely... I did notice that... But it also has a little green from mold and obviously the white, which I am geusng is the primer. However my piece you can clearly see has white in a few layers of the wood. Could just be part of the rotting process...

???

--Ryan
Harry Warden Monday 4/27/2009 at 02:21 AM | 44220
I gathered this rumor from a thread:

in the movie "Jaws", the orca sank, however, what actually happened to the boat after filming?

the boat that played "Andrea Gail" in the perfect storm was the ster to the AG, she went back to work.

the SS Poedon in the Poedon Adventure was the Queen Mary 1,

On this page :

href="http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=847406&page=2">http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthre ... 406&page=2
Harry Warden Monday 4/27/2009 at 02:25 AM | 44221
Found this in a thread too...

Lee said he thinks it was built ung a Novi Lobster Boat. This dude says a Nova Scotian Lobster Boat... So... We have 2 differant types of boats now... Now to discover which is which... lol

Originally Posted by jlt13th Your very close.Its actually based on an old Nova Scotian Lobster boat hull which is what the Orca originally was.The main hull and the Novi hulls looked pretty milar years ago,before the Novi boats opted for the super wide beams they sport now days.In one of the interior cabin photos above you can see a picture inde the cabin of the Orca before it was transformed into the boat seen on film.It was all white and called "Warlock". Heres a few more updates with finished paint
Harry Warden Monday 4/27/2009 at 02:50 AM | 44225
MY GOD... THIS COULD EXPLAIN WHY THE BOAT IS WHITE NOW... THE OTHER COLORS AND OR THE SHELL HAD COVERED THE ORIGINAL PAINT FOR "WARLOCK"....................................... I THINK WE ARE ON TO SOMETHING HERE...

--Ryan
Harry Warden Monday 4/27/2009 at 02:54 AM | 44226
MY GOD... THIS COULD EXPLAIN WHY THE BOAT IS WHITE NOW... THE OTHER COLORS AND OR THE SHELL HAD COVERED THE ORIGINAL PAINT FOR "WARLOC

Hi.I came across this thread/te by accident.Ill try to clear up this Orca stuff for you.-The original Orca (orca 1) was a real Nova Scotian Lobster boat named "warlock".After the film finished shooting it was trucked back to Universal studios in california.It was briefly owned by a crewman and then sold back to universal a few months after the movie was released.It sat in the Jaws lagoon for the Universal tram tour from 1976 until about 1996.It unfortunately rotted away and is now gone.You can see in the pic I attached below that the bow was nking from year of neglect.The Orca 2 was the fiberglass replica boat used for the nking scenes in the film.It sat on the beach of Marthas vinyard from 1975 until 2005.In 2005 the owner of Orca2 (lynn murphy) cut up the boat with a chainsaw right before "Jawsfest" in order to keep Jaws fans viting the island off his property.The Orca 2 is now completely gone.The white boat you have in the pics Ryan was a boat used to haul camera equipment and other stuff they needed for filming.It never appeared in the movie and unfortunately is not the Orca.The Orca 2 once sat right next to it though.You can see in the pics I attached below the two boats tting together.The white boat is directly behind the Orca.As you can see the white boat still had its cabin at the time the pics were taken and is clearly not the Orca.Sorry to disappoint you.I was always hoping to get to the vinyard to see orca 2 before it was gone as well.
jlt13th Tuesday 11/03/2009 at 02:59 AM | 57430
Heres one more piece of evidence for you.In the pic you posted,you can see in front of where the two people are standing that there are sharp rusted bent metal things sticking up.Thats where Orca 2 once sat.If you look at the pic I posted you can see those same pieces of bent metal inde the hull of orca 2.(see red arrows.)So if you dig around that area right in front of where your friends are standing you may find some actual orca 2 pieces buried in the sand.
jlt13th Tuesday 11/03/2009 at 03:17 AM | 57434
I am so glad to actually know for sure now, but in the same breath... Damn thats a bummer.......... That seriously hits the spot for me... Jaws is my favorite Horror movie and I thought I really had a piece of that boat... Man that sucks.....

I apreciate this proof bro! I really do. It just hurts...Why do people have to fuck it up for others all the time? Why would they cut up the Orca 2 just because someone doesn't want people on there property? It's not like those people are there to fuck shit up... The're just looking at the boat. I'll never understand why people do what they do... OR why they would neglect an important piece of movie history and just let the Orca 1 Rot... It's just not fair...

Anyway, thanks bro!

--Ryan
Harry Warden Tuesday 11/03/2009 at 07:17 AM | 57441
Yeah Im not sure why the owner of Orca 2 (lynn murphy) cut it up.I know his wife claimed it was because he wanted jawsfest attendies to stay away,but its not like it was anywhere near his house.I know fans cut chunks off it over the years and all that was left for a long time was the hull.The guy should have sold it before it got picked apart.I know I would have loved to have had it.If your a jaws fan you should check out my friends te.I pasted a link below.We got a member who has built a near perfect scale model of the Jaws shark that will soon be for sale.Lots of Orca/Jaws info as well.

href="http://www.createforum.com/operationorca/">http://www.createforum.com/operationorca/
jlt13th Tuesday 11/03/2009 at 07:40 AM | 57442
Hello im sorry but that boat whas next to the remains of Orca 2 you see its effects barge to nk it, in the sand in the picture with you two standing. Orca boat 2 never had a back te it whas taken out for the Shark. The Orca boat 1 has been in the backlot of universal studios Hollywood for years in the water at the Jaws section. The boat whas rotten pulled out the water in 1995. So i dont now what boat that whas the white one you see in the picture,it also has a square hole opening on the back te.

The

real orca dit not have that hole. So whas it a production crew boat? I m afraid i own a piece of wood now from

a boat next to the remains of Orca 2. I bought it on e bay and he whas sure it is from the Orca boat , but i'm not anymore!
joor Wednesday 9/14/2011 at 02:28 PM | 82690
a 28' Pacemaker
MOWDEReeL Wednesday 9/14/2011 at 02:34 PM | 82691