Forums Horror Collectibles
Star Trek (2009)

First things first, I hate the Star Trek series, and movies. I hate anything that has to do with Star Trek. However, I was dragged to the midnight showing last night, and honestly... I was very pleased.

The movie was quite entertaining. The character development (something I LOVE in movies) was pretty solid, and it was cool to understand Abrams view of how Kirk took command of his ship, and made a friendship with Spock, who seemed like quite the douche bag when younger.

The action was great, and Eric Bana played the villain absolutely perfect. Chris Pine played in his first lead role and did a fantastic job, and most likely earned himself a few other jobs. He was funny, rebellious, and just wanted to kick anybody who got in his way's asses.

This movie was a pleasant surprise to me, and while I don't completely understand the plot (because I'm out of the loop on the Star Trek bullshit), I still enjoyed it a lot.

Even if you can't stand Star Trek, go see it, you'll be entertained to say the least.
KeeterZ Friday 5/08/2009 at 08:14 PM | 45403
Just got back . .. LOVED IT!!!!

I've watched Trek nce I was a kid so I'm pretty well versed in the Star Trek universe "lingo" so to speak.

I don't call myself a Trekkie because I don't live and die Star Trek but I know most details and character stories.

So this movie was a phenom, if you don't know anything about Star Trek it won't effect the movie for you at all . . . . all the Star Trek details aren't important to the story however for an old skool fan like myself I was shocked at how many nods this film had to issues that only fans would know.

Plus, even though the story line is being re-booted it completely stayed true to the story line of the series where is last left off (Next Generation era).

However, seeing Nimoy back was just incredible . . .never thought I'd see him play that character again.

Star Trek 09 Has the best tomato rating on rotten tomatoes of any Trek film so far!
DaShape Friday 5/08/2009 at 09:30 PM | 45408
Great to hear these reviews, in fact 99% of the reviews I've read so far have been potive.

This is one of the few movies that I've really been looking forward to.
gummi Friday 5/08/2009 at 10:01 PM | 45410
So this movie was a phenom, if you don't know anything about Star Trek it won't effect the movie for you at all . . . . all the Star Trek details aren't important to the story however for an old skool fan like myself I was shocked at how many nods this film had to issues that only fans would know.This was exactly why I enjoyed it. I feel I know so much more about the series than I ever known because the character development is phenomenal, along with the action.

I enjoyed this.
KeeterZ Saturday 5/09/2009 at 12:54 AM | 45414
I've thought more about this and I've got to add . . .

When they rebooted James Bond is was gutsy, when they brought back the Dark Knight it was genius but Star Trek was going to be the hardest one to resurrect . . . and they did it man!

It just grossed $33 Million in 29 hours!!!!

Now not that money or critics should sway you (because I believe everyone should judge a film from their unique potion and not by just what critics and the box office say alone) HOWEVER . . .

Star Trek has just hit 96% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes . . . try getting 96% of anybody to agree on something is hard but film critics???

Just look at the Tomato Read for the past Oscar Best Pictures of the year: ROTTEN TOMATOES SCORES FOR THE LAST 5 OSCAR WINNERS 2004 – Million Dollar Baby – 91% Fresh 2005 – Crash – 75% Fresh 2006 – The Departed – 92% Fresh 2007 – No Country For Old Men – 94% Fresh 2008 - Slumdog Millionaire – 94% Fresh
DaShape Saturday 5/09/2009 at 07:28 AM | 45425
I not a Star Trek fan at all and I absolutely LOVED IT!
Michael Aspinwall Saturday 5/09/2009 at 02:42 PM | 45431
Saw it last night and loved it.

I agree this is a film for anyone, Star Trek fan or not.

I haven't seen a few of my past favorites in quite a while, i.e. The Wrath of Khan and The Voyage Home, but I think it's safe to say that this has taken over the top spot of all the Star Trek movies for me.

This one had it all . . . good story, spot-on casting, great action scenes and effects, and just the right amount of comic relief mixed in.

I'm so glad that this lived up to the hype.

I had almost forgotten what it was like to not be disappointed in any way by a sequel / prequel.
gummi Sunday 5/10/2009 at 05:59 AM | 45458
I saw this movie on Thursday when it opened and again on Saturday and it really was one HELL of an experience.

I was an old Trek fan from childhood, I grew up on TNG and the TOS movies... So I was well versed before I was in High School.

Granted, I kept my Trek fandom pretty secret... as it was social suicide to admit you enjoyed Trek.

One could admit a love for Star Wars, but Trek was guaranteed to eliminate sexual encounters with any female back then.

This movie pretty much erases that old stigma with it's swagger, it's great cast, and it's flavor.

Yes, this Trek has FLAVOR.

Unlike the stale boring (at least to modern audiences) old Trek, this new film has fire in it's veins.

It has that same bold feeling that the TOS had back in it's day.

Kirk back then was cocky and had an edge, Spock and Bones even had teeth at times... shocking the viewer each week.

The new film captures that and amps it up to 11.

The familiar characters are brought to life in such a way that not a ngle one of them feels forced and out of place.

Each actor takes the potion as comfortably as one of us would put on a comfy old shirt.

They just feel right.

I found myself totally giddy listening to Bones grumbling, or Kirk being Kirk. And I was damn near moved to tears several times by Nimoy and Quinto as the two Spocks.

It really was an exceptional film.

The story has it's flaws, it's pretty large and spans a lot of time... which doesn't allow for much of a solid backstory for Nero, the villain.

But if you read the "Countdown" comic book, you already know enough to make up for that.

But honestly, there aren't any glaring flaws, the movie was damn good.

Highly recommend it for ANY filmgoer, especially Trek fans.

GO and see this immediately!

DarkArtist81 Wednesday 5/13/2009 at 06:19 AM | 45620
DAMNIT I need to see this movie!!!!

Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Wednesday 5/13/2009 at 06:48 AM | 45625
I completely agree. I'm not much of a star trek fan either, although I can happily watch the old school trek with Shatner and Nimoy. But this surprised me... I thought it was fantastic! The fact that the new Shatner is a handsome dude is just a happy bonus!
MsVoorhees Wednesday 5/13/2009 at 11:59 AM | 45637
I completely agree. I'm not much of a star trek fan either, although I can happily watch the old school trek with Shatner and Nimoy. But this surprised me... I thought it was fantastic! The fact that the new Shatner is a handsome dude is just a happy bonus!
MsVoorhees Wednesday 5/13/2009 at 12:00 PM | 45638
I just got back from seeing it and agree with all the above. That is how Star Trek should be

The actors were great! The mood was great! The story was so Trekish! What's there to say that hasn't been said. Seeing Nimoy again brought tears to my eyes!

kaizu Thursday 6/04/2009 at 11:33 AM | 47450
OVERDONEWITHGONE
Bridge Thursday 6/04/2009 at 03:15 PM | 47457
Saw the flick last week....had tears in my eyes watching Kirk's dad bravely go down with his ship. Great action; good acting; lots of fun...and a hand held camera job that was supreme! I loved it.
ny ghoul Sunday 6/07/2009 at 02:44 AM | 47650