Forums Horror Collectibles
MASK MAKER SITUATION COMMENTS

I felt I needed to chime in with my comments with the Terry tuation and some of the comments being made on the boards because of it.

First off let me say that not all mask makers make you wait 6 months or longer for your purchase.

I, for one never make my buyers wait more than 6 weeks for new mask they buy. The reason for this is mple, I HATE WAITING FOR ANYTHING I BUY!! So, I can't expect someone to buy something and wait around for 6 months to a year. I HATE THAT!! The only example of people waiting longer is if they Pre-order something that isn't done or send me something to be repainted. Even then they get a date of when they can expect their mask to be done and shipped. For example my H4. I took pre-orders on this mask in FEB. I told everyone they would start shipping in April and that's exactly what happened.

Next, this excuse that someone posted recently that "Life sometimes gets in the way"...is bullshit. There is no excuse to take a customers money and not deliver what they purchased....NONE. If for instance I get ck...the first thing I do is let everyone know. Second...even being ck doesn't slow down the delivery of what I owe someone. There is no excuse making people wonder when or if they will get their mask...or IF they will get their mask. For instance, last year when I came out of retirement I announced that my Shape 08 would be shipping in 2 months. 2 weeks later I fell off of a roof and ended up in the hospital and was unable to walk for 2 weeks. Within a week I was in my studio working on filling the orders. Those orders were completely filled within 6 weeks of my announcement.

Keep in mind that all artists, myself included have their little off days...shit we're all nuts in some way. But that still doesn't negate the fact that I have someone's money...and I have to deliver what they ordered. There is a well known artist out there that told me flat out...that if people want to order his masks...then they get to wait for them...no matter how long it takes. That is the top of the arrogance ladder in my eyes.

Also, I saw one last year that a lot of people had ordered from someone and after 5 months they still haven't received their masks. The mask makers excuse? Hey, I had to pay my mortgage..sorry. When I take an order for ANY mask...the money that is given to me ts in my account and is NEVER touched until that mask is shipped. In other words I don't treat that money as mine to spend until the transaction is complete.

My logic for that is this....if I don't touch that money..and say I get hit by a bus...or get leukemia, or another disease and I can't fulfill my obligations, that money is there to refund...no delay.

Some people suggested that mask makers should never advertise a mask for sale unless they have MANY masks made and stockpiled.

No way that is going to happen. For one thing latex is not cheap...plaster is not cheap. I can not make a bunch of masks and have them t around collecting dust until they sell. Think about it...a box of masks tting one on top of each other....getting creased....getting smashed...would you want that mask?

To sum it up....not everyone out there is a thief and is out to steal your money. Just because there have been a few bad apples doesn't mean all of us will rip you off. The problem that I do see out there is the willingness of some people to give that same artist money....even after he ripped off someone else. "Butterfingers" comes to mind.

Use your heads people...check someone out...ask questions...research what you are buying.
HorrorSanctum Sunday 5/10/2009 at 06:24 PM | 45479
And THAT is why I buy from YOU first.

Oh, and you don't make bucket head masks too.
Evildsm Sunday 5/10/2009 at 06:39 PM | 45480
I was just about ready to stick my nose in this "tuation" myself... Plain and mple, whats going on with Terry has nothing to do with any of the other mask makers or companies!! I've read so many posts on this topic requesting that buyers start this movement twards mask makers to force them to have faster turnaround times and whatever... If you don't like the wait don't buy it, if you don't like the price don't buy it, if you have read on 67 different forums that 10,000 people have been screwed over before then don't buy from them!! If you have had a bad tuation and are bent out of shape because of it then don't buy from them again!

The Prop Shop is 100% my full time job. I love what I do and I want to continue growing and doing what I do. In order to do that and be successfull my #1 goal has to be making my customers happy. I've never had anyone wait more then 6 weeks for an item. I've never not responded to a customers email (even the hyperactive people that send 35 emails a week). I've never screwed a customer out of money, its wrong. If my shop were to burn down tomorrow and all 40 of the pre-orders I'm working on melt, my first step would be emailing everyone letting them know what was going on and figuring out a solution to the problem.

WHY?? Because I want every customer to be satisfied in the end so they will come back in the future and spread good word to their friends!!

This is the way I strive to do buness with my customers and have done so the past 6 years. I just want people to understand this instead of grouping the bad together with the good. Were not all bad guys!

Great post Sam, you fired me up!

CartyParty Sunday 5/10/2009 at 08:16 PM | 45482
Two stand-up guys in Sam & Casey.
SithLord Sunday 5/10/2009 at 08:37 PM | 45485
I felt I needed to chime in with my comments with the Terry tuation and some of the comments being made on the boards because of it.

First off let me say that not all mask makers make you wait 6 months or longer for your purchase.

I, for one never make my buyers wait more than 6 weeks for new mask they buy. The reason for this is mple, I HATE WAITING FOR ANYTHING I BUY!! So, I can't expect someone to buy something and wait around for 6 months to a year. I HATE THAT!! The only example of people waiting longer is if they Pre-order something that isn't done or send me something to be repainted. Even then they get a date of when they can expect their mask to be done and shipped. For example my H4. I took pre-orders on this mask in FEB. I told everyone they would start shipping in April and that's exactly what happened.

Next, this excuse that someone posted recently that "Life sometimes gets in the way"...is bullshit. There is no excuse to take a customers money and not deliver what they purchased....NONE. If for instance I get ck...the first thing I do is let everyone know. Second...even being ck doesn't slow down the delivery of what I owe someone. There is no excuse making people wonder when or if they will get their mask...or IF they will get their mask. For instance, last year when I came out of retirement I announced that my Shape 08 would be shipping in 2 months. 2 weeks later I fell off of a roof and ended up in the hospital and was unable to walk for 2 weeks. Within a week I was in my studio working on filling the orders. Those orders were completely filled within 6 weeks of my announcement.

Keep in mind that all artists, myself included have their little off days...shit we're all nuts in some way. But that still doesn't negate the fact that I have someone's money...and I have to deliver what they ordered. There is a well known artist out there that told me flat out...that if people want to order his masks...then they get to wait for them...no matter how long it takes. That is the top of the arrogance ladder in my eyes.

Also, I saw one last year that a lot of people had ordered from someone and after 5 months they still haven't received their masks. The mask makers excuse? Hey, I had to pay my mortgage..sorry. When I take an order for ANY mask...the money that is given to me ts in my account and is NEVER touched until that mask is shipped. In other words I don't treat that money as mine to spend until the transaction is complete.

My logic for that is this....if I don't touch that money..and say I get hit by a bus...or get leukemia, or another disease and I can't fulfill my obligations, that money is there to refund...no delay.

Some people suggested that mask makers should never advertise a mask for sale unless they have MANY masks made and stockpiled.

No way that is going to happen. For one thing latex is not cheap...plaster is not cheap. I can not make a bunch of masks and have them t around collecting dust until they sell. Think about it...a box of masks tting one on top of each other....getting creased....getting smashed...would you want that mask?

To sum it up....not everyone out there is a thief and is out to steal your money. Just because there have been a few bad apples doesn't mean all of us will rip you off. The problem that I do see out there is the willingness of some people to give that same artist money....even after he ripped off someone else. "Butterfingers" comes to mind.

Use your heads people...check someone out...ask questions...research what you are buying.

Bravo Sam.....excellent post.
ny ghoul Sunday 5/10/2009 at 08:39 PM | 45486
Great posts Sam and Casey!
gummi Sunday 5/10/2009 at 08:58 PM | 45488
Sam, you are one of the most stand-up mask makers I've seen and thank you for being an up front person.
DrenTheLiar Sunday 5/10/2009 at 09:09 PM | 45490

Use your heads people...check someone out...ask questions...research what you are buying. Well said Sam
kaizu Sunday 5/10/2009 at 09:10 PM | 45491
I've been in this hobby for a while and have dealt with a lot of artists. I can honestly say for every bad experience I've had, there have been dozens of good experiences. Casey and Sam who have posted here are two examples of true profesonals who know how to strike the balance between the buness aspects and the artistic aspects of mask-making. There are a number of other artists out there who strike that balance and I have no hetation sending them my money either. Guys like Jeff Death and Darkde Paul have been in this buness for a long time because they know how to treat their customers. A few of my other favorite artists to deal with are Jon Fuller, David Lady, and Tony Pitocco. They all give you timelines and stick to them, taking the time to answer any inquiries along the way.

Like Sam says, do your homework before ordering from a certain artist. The few bad apples out there are well known.
lblambert Sunday 5/10/2009 at 11:10 PM | 45495
I assume you are talking about a comment that I made on another topic about Life getting in the way ? Life is not bullshit you could get hit by an bus and it could happen to anyone .. Now if you abuse the this as an exuse then yes it would be bullshit .. I just want to clear one thing up I in no way was taking up for anyone taking money and not fulfilling their obligations . I was just stating anything could happen to you thats all " peace out "..

Lewis
maskmaniac Monday 5/11/2009 at 01:20 AM | 45498
Great posts Sam and Casey. I have only bought from collectors as I was a bit leary to start with when I got into this and honestly am an impatient person when it comes to buying this so I always thought this to be the fastest way but I must say Sam you certainly made me feel more at ease buying from mask makers such as yourself from the Crofader I was lucky enough to win on here. You sent me a time it would be here and you were actually earlier then I expected and think you had said. My biggest thing I want from makers when i buy from them or collectors is just to keep me updated. I don't want people making an excuse every time they turn around but if something happens and for some reason there is a delay just let people know. With the way things are these days with money and all people want to feel as secure as they can when handing over as much cash as some people want for these masks and I don't think it is unrerasonable to ask for updates. Once again Sam and Casey you both made me feel much better about dealing with the makers themselves then I did before. Now enough of my rambling. lol
cropsy Monday 5/11/2009 at 10:48 AM | 45535
Horror Sanctum is my choice for masks.

I am going to be buying alot of masks from this guy because I have been seeing his progress and I love how his heart is in his customers, not the money.

He loves the work he does and I bet you the best part of his work isn't getting the money or making the masks... its hearing that the mask got safely to the ones that paid and hearing how great the mask is.

I know that's important.

If HS has a slew of masks and makes H6,H5,H4, and I am getting a Devious... then yes, rest assured I will send him over $2000 for those masks.

I am a rich man, however, I don't deal with shady people even though $2000 is nothing to me.

Buness is buness, and this guy knows his stuff.

I am a buness man, profesonally owning two corporations.

This man is top on my list.

Sam, you'll hear from me soon.
Martek Wednesday 5/13/2009 at 08:49 AM | 45630
Horror Sanctum is my choice for masks.

I am going to be buying alot of masks from this guy because I have been seeing his progress and I love how his heart is in his customers, not the money.

He loves the work he does and I bet you the best part of his work isn't getting the money or making the masks... its hearing that the mask got safely to the ones that paid and hearing how great the mask is.

I know that's important.

If HS has a slew of masks and makes H6,H5,H4, and I am getting a Devious... then yes, rest assured I will send him over $2000 for those masks.

I am a rich man, however, I don't deal with shady people even though $2000 is nothing to me.

Buness is buness, and this guy knows his stuff.

I am a buness man, profesonally owning two corporations.

This man is top on my list.

Sam, you'll hear from me soon.

damn man thats cool and all that your doing well for yourself but do you have to flaunt it?

pamelavoorheesRIP Wednesday 5/13/2009 at 11:35 PM | 45659
I doubt he is....
Evildsm Thursday 5/14/2009 at 01:45 AM | 45668