Forums Horror Movie Reviews
THE MIST (Major Spoilers)

The Mist is one of the better horror movies of 2007 and one of the better Stephen King film adaptations in almost a decade. Frank Darabont knows what he's doing and he's doing it well..he wrote the screenplay and directed this one. He knows Stephen King well, having wrote the screenplays for The Green Mile and The Shawshank Redemption(Damn, I LOVE that Movie)

PLOT: The plot seems mple enough. David Drayton(Thomas Jane, best known as the Punisher) lives with his wife and young son Billy(Nathan Gamble, you saw him as the little blond kid in Babel and will see him as Lt. Gordon's son in The Dark Knight. I predict he will be a mega child/teen star in 5-8 years) live in a small town in Maine, where David paints Movie Posters. One dark night, a very nasty storm hits. No big deal, just the usual blown over trees smashing cars and houses(Ok, A big deal if it's YOUR car and house).

David takes Billy to the local supermarket to get supplies. The wife opts to stay home and clean up the house but Brent Norton, the African-American lawyer who lives next door tags along, as his clasc car has been smashed to bits by a tree. (His first lines in the movie are great because that is me at work everyday.) There is bad blood between David and Mr. Norton, who has a chip on his shoulder, thinks the town hates him, etc.

Most of the movie takes place at the Supermarket, which is packed with people buying supplies. They better. A thick MIST rolls into town with ZERO visability and there are nasty creatures in that MIST.

Thats all the plot you really need to know. It's clasc Stephen King from here on out as so many different types of people are trapped together in this store. You got blue collar workers to old "Church ladies" to young mothers and even 3 members of the US Army. As you can guess tempers flare and panic sets in from 1) being trapped in one place and 2)

attacks from these creatures.

Marcia Gay Harden is kick ass as Ms. Carmody , a Stephen King staple as a women who proclaims the MIST is punishment from GOD and quotes the BIBLE. Stephen just loves these wack-o WASP ladies.

It's fun watching the character studies of all these different people and watching all Hell break loose.

The Creatures are great, better then Cloverfield(A movie I liked)...They show up at the different moments. It's not overkill with the creatures but A perfect balence between a Stephen King drama involving people thrown together in a tough tuation and a horror movies involving nasty creatures.

A word about the Ending: (NO I'M NOT GIVING IT AWAY) ....It's not the traditional ending you expect but is anti-climatic(like Cloverfield's was)...I've read complaints on Facebook that people didn't like it. I thought it was a good and went WOW, Damn. In time, this movie will be remembered for the ending.

OVERALL GRADE: B+
acolyteandy Saturday 4/05/2008 at 01:12 AM | 7569
Agreed, I really enjoyed the movie and it was done well.

Did not over kill on the monsters and let the mist do the rest.

Sometimes it's better not to see and imagine, the mist itself helps that tremendously (not that you don't see your fair share of uglies).

Also, once again . . .was more character driven.

I say it over and over, when a movie has a good story and it's very character driven . .

no special effects, not top billing, no mulit-million dollar budget . . . Problem is, all those things are just extra stuff to help bring the characters and story to life but they often replace them instead.The Mist was a good balance of effects and story. . . and what about that ending?

You almost see it coming and hope it doesn't happen, but OH YES, they go there lol.

I gives this a Knife Up
DaShape Saturday 4/05/2008 at 01:27 AM | 7570
I thought the movie was great up until the end....I personally didn't like the ending but overall it was a good movie.
kweandee Wednesday 4/23/2008 at 05:37 AM | 9589
I thought the movie was great up until the end....I personally didn't like the ending but overall it was a good movie.

That ending was REALLY depresng eh? LOL.
DaShape Monday 4/28/2008 at 07:37 AM | 10028
We were actually mad afterwards...lol

I think I would have been happier if the mist just ate him

kweandee Monday 4/28/2008 at 03:27 PM | 10040
We were actually mad afterwards...lol

I think I would have been happier if the mist just ate himWe kind of saw it coming . . . I was thinking to myself right before it happened, "you know what would be funny?

If

. . . ."

HAHAHAHAHHAHAH
DaShape Monday 4/28/2008 at 07:59 PM | 10050
So I just watched this again with one of my roommates and WOW, still fantastic.

That ending is unforgettable to say the least.Funny thing, in the bonus material the director said that in order to convince the studio to allow him to keep the ending (that is in the movie) he had to opt for a lower budget.

That's a story-teller right there, taking less money to work with in order the show the ending that was meant to be seen.

Often times the studios will change endings of films at the last minute and give them the "sunshine and roses" or "happily ever after" endings.

(on a de note: I actually wish "I AM LEGEND" would have had it's happily ever after ending)
DaShape Tuesday 5/13/2008 at 04:57 AM | 11453
One of my favorite movies from last year. The ending just leaves you shaking your head. I still like the ending of the short story better, it just doesn't fit as

a movie ending. As far as I AM LEGEND is concerned, I wish they would have found a way to do the ending like the original story.
t-doyle Thursday 5/15/2008 at 07:05 PM | 11560
This movie rules! Go out and buy it. After hearing what everyone was saying about ti I thought it was gonna be lame but its a King story so you know it had to be good. well with knbfx heading the gigs and spfx it turned out great and I enjoyed this movie a bunch.
quietonthesetstudios Thursday 5/22/2008 at 10:28 AM | 11933
The Mist was great especailly when they're in the supermarket and the old lady hits the women that was preeching the word of god in the head with a can of peas. the spunky old lady said keep talking I have plenty of peas but I think the ending was very very screwed up. I would watch it again but not the ending.
lapazza143 Thursday 6/26/2008 at 01:21 AM | 14452
The rest of movie is AWESOME! I enjoyed the balance storyline in the supermarket and I'm with everyone about the mist part and ending part. It's one of my 2 favorite Stephen King's movies and other one is IT. Props to Stephen King for excellent storyline and created a twisted end in the movie.
Gary Suyoru Friday 11/14/2008 at 03:55 PM | 23616
GREAT surreal film....good acting; good f/x; trippy and one of the most bleak films Ive seen in a while. I applaud the end!!!!!!!!
ny ghoul Saturday 11/15/2008 at 03:14 AM | 23686

Someone else saw THE MIST (2007)?

I saw it here in some place but couldn't find where, so I decided to post my point of view about his one.

Fisrt things first: why in the red hell aliens from outworld have to come in the mist?

The misterious mist have nothing with the story of the film. The best on it is the fact that they didn't showed uo some freakin "time machine" or something like this. They just said that the military (always the USA army) were making evil thing os a mountain (that is not showed on the film too).

So, creeeeeepy monster, like giant bugs, come to eat the humans. Ok, this part is a crap, but the scenes inde the shop and all the problems with that crazy religious chick are very good. Oh, and there's a scene when one guy tried to go to his car, tied with a rope, and when David try to get him back, only a half man comes! Cool!

And the grand finale of the film, when David kills the four people in the car (including his son) and try to get killed by the aliens is awesome! Why? Because the own damn army pass in front of him 10 minutes after he had killed his son (he did it 'cos the people in the car can't scape from the mist and the monster, so they decided to suicide to not been caught by the monster).

I like it. In a 1-10 scale, I give it 8.

LÜCKMANN Monday 12/29/2008 at 03:46 PM | 29837
I really liked the Mist...

It had good characters, cool monster degns and was a good study for the horrible nature of humanity.

And what I gathered about the mist was that it was the atmosphere of whatever dimenon or world the army accidentally opened a pathway to.

So when they did that, the mist came through into our world and a lot of creatures from within that world came with it.the ending was pretty shocking, but I am glad they didn't puss out and give us a "happy" ending like many King adaptations.

He thought it was the end of the world, that there was no choice.

And he promised his son that the monsters would never get him...

so he did what he thought was right.

Sucks for him that things ended up the way they did.

But in a real tuation, I'm sure that kind of stuff would happen all over.

Great film though, I really enjoyed it.

DarkArtist81 Monday 12/29/2008 at 04:27 PM | 29846
I liked it also.

In fact, I think it was one of the better horror movies in the last few years and also one of the best Stephen King horror adaptations to come along in a while.

I also just assumed that the mist came from the other dimenon's atmosphere, really no need for an in depth explanation in my opinion.

It made the movie a lot more suspenseful than it would have been without it, not to mention that it would have been a little odd to make a movie called The Mist with no mist in it.

As for the ending, one of the most surpring and depresng I've ever seen in a horror movie.

Well, now I'm going to have to go watch it again.

gummi Friday 1/02/2009 at 01:01 AM | 30477
Well said Gummi....one of the better if not best mainstream horror films Ive seen in a while. The ending was f'ing BLEAK as hell. Wow. It definately moved me. Most movies pussy out but they delivered with this one. I like the whole military experiment idea as well.
ny ghoul Friday 1/02/2009 at 05:15 AM | 30541