Forums Horror Collectibles
WTF?!? what is it about white masks that make people crazy?!

SERIOUSLY?!?!?!?!?!?

Why is it that MYERS MASKS make people loose theirmind?!

i have had SO MANY RUDE, NASTY AND DAMN RIGHT MEAN interactions with folks in the past week that i have had. . well i almost want to say YEARS!!

WHAT THE HELL MAN?!
DEUSEXMACHINA222 Monday 6/01/2009 at 04:40 AM | 47170
The mask as we know takes on so many looks. Looks different on whoever wears it. Not many people have actually seen a real kirk. There aren't enough good pics that show the mask clearly. This leads to personal preference and causes debates between one another.

Everyone wants an accurate mask or should I say the better mask. Due to demand, the price will go up the more accurate a sculpt gets(Not all though). Not everyone can afford one. Some people(Not all) who can afford one tend to get cocky. Not all high end masks are accurate. People who don't own one will state their opinion that it's not accurate. The owner gets pissed.

A new mask comes out. The majority thinks it's the best(or accurate) but a few don't agree. Majority creates favoritism. The majority tend to say their mask is accurate and that the other isn't. This pisses the minority. Due to favoritism, the one with the better mask(a majority) tend to ignore or look down on noobs who don't own one.

A majority of white mask collecters tend to collect only white masks which often leads to competition.This doesn't seem to happen to people who collect other masks or other stuff.

This is all just some of the stuff I've seen throughout the years while lurking. Never have I seen an item cause so much trouble among collecters. It's as if the white mask is cursed. Great topic Alex
kaizu Monday 6/01/2009 at 01:57 PM | 47182
OVERDONEWITHGONE
Bridge Monday 6/01/2009 at 03:05 PM | 47188
Because it's all preference and it's human nature to think your opinion is right and that's that.
DrenTheLiar Monday 6/01/2009 at 09:53 PM | 47215
I'm new to the whole Myers mask collecting world, but one thing I have noticed is that there are a lot of Myers Masks that do not even look like the ones used in the various movies. Are these just artist renditions of how they would have made the mask?
theblackesteyes Monday 6/01/2009 at 10:22 PM | 47220
This is a TOUGH question but I'm really glad somebody decided to bring it up.

It's been talked about over and over but this is a nice conversation to start off with in the "White Mask Army".

First off this all comes down to opinion so I'll share mine.

By NO means is my opinion better than some body else's when it comes to the MYERS MASK issues.

It's just the thoughts I've formed over the years based on experiences I've had, read and seen.

I think the real negative vibe for Myers Mask collecting hit when it was announced that Zombie was going to remake Halloween and the first images of the H9 mask started to hit the web.

Rob was introducing Halloween to a whole new audience and generation so these "kids" or younger collectors started getting into it.

For years there were only certain collectors (I'm sure many of you readers are these people) who fancied the White Mask.

Then you get all these noobs/youngsters in.

This wasn't a subtle change over a long period of time, this was like a bomb dropping on the myers mask community.

Imagine pouring a colored dye into a bowl of clear water.

Even Michael-Myers.net didn't get huge until the announcement of Zombie's H9.

It was just about the right time at the right place.

You could sell a $20 converted Don Post on feebay for hundreds . . . so you know the Horror Collecting Community was buzzing Zombie and more importantly, buzzing Michael Myers Mask.So this newer group of myers mask collectors entered the scene.

However, before that group, when people didn't like a Myers Mask that an independent artist came out with they would often offer constructive, polite critiques or say nothing at all.

However this new group would often be very rude posting and commenting very negative, bashing statements like, "That mask sucks" or "that looks terrible".

Now don't get me wrong, you can still say you don't prefer something or don't think it resembles the mask in the film without being so nasty and mean-spirited about it.

Now first off, if you are a newer Myers Mask collector PLEASE don't assume I'm talking about you.

There's always a few who ruin it for the rest however the noobies were/are unfortunately often all grouped together.

I'm more speaking about younger kids (in age that is) and it comes down to different generational trends.

Youth (in general) today lack the maturity and respect that older generations have.

Again, I'm not saying every ngle Myers Mask collector who's under 18 is bad . . . I'm just saying the majority based on what I've read and seen from my limited perspective.

Also, these younger myers mask collectors are kids, youth, teens . . .we all were young once (if you aren't right now) and I know I did and said some pretty immature things in my time.

The only difference is I didn't have a platform to mingle with adults and collect items of milar interests.

Myers Mask Collecting is 90% contained to independent artists while other Horror Collecting is often more of a blend of independent and commercial.

Big bunesses don't have feelings and could care less if a kids slams their products on the net however an independent artist has feelings and often works alone so when some youth trashes their hard work that the artist has spent hours slaving over . . . it hurts and the negativity spreads like a plague across the horror myers collecting community.

Everything negative a kids says "CAN" hurt buness for that Myers Mask Maker (and that buness is often their lively hood).

When it comes to Myers Masks, you are having adults interactive with youth or children on a buness level . . . this is a mess looking for a place to happen.

It's always eaer to talk big on your computer because you know the other person's fist can't emerge from your computer screen and smash your face.

That's very graphic symbolism but you get my drift.

Now I'm not saying all Adults are blameless either however when it comes to the Myers Mask Community the majority of the time it's a kid who wasn't alive when H6 hit theaters posting very slanderish comments about an independent artist's livelihood.

So word of advice to anybody reading this who has been very nasty in posts to mask artists; You are screwing with somebody's income (how they live and eat) so do you honestly expect them to t there and take it?

Profesonalism says they should but when you are relentless (which has been the case nce Rob Zombie's H9) I don't always blame them for snapping back.

Why does MYERS MASK COLLECTING have so many problems?

Because two different generations are trying to collect the same item and that item can (almost) only be purchased from indie aritists as opposed to commercial consumer companies.

There's no official economic Law when it comes to Myers Mask collecting.

So mix two very different generations trying to collect something that can only be purchased from independent sellers with no universal agreed upon transaction plan . . . you get a mess looking for a place to happen.
DaShape Monday 6/01/2009 at 11:08 PM | 47222
I'm new to the whole Myers mask collecting world, but one thing I have noticed is that there are a lot of Myers Masks that do not even look like the ones used in the various movies. Are these just artist renditions of how they would have made the mask?

Some are early attempts to be accurate by a newer mask maker and others are, yes, original takes. For example, the Butcher.
DrenTheLiar Monday 6/01/2009 at 11:22 PM | 47223

Some are early attempts to be accurate by a newer mask maker and others are, yes, original takes. For example, the Butcher.

plus just like with artwork each sculptor and mask maker has a different style of their own. You can almost always tell who finished a mask mply by the paint scheme alone. It really all depends on what your conder to be the perfect mask. I think the cool thing that's happening now is other people getting involved to help create the so call perfect Myers mask. You take someones sculpting skills, combine that with your favorite artists paint and then send it off for a custom hair job. That way you can truly get the look you love the most. I think that really is going to be the future of the Myers mask market. Because in my opinion there are over 4 or 5 masks that have hit the H1 look dead on already. You can't really get any better than whats already out there. It's just based on what you feel like the look is. Because the mask looks so different in various shots from movie...
Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Tuesday 6/02/2009 at 12:32 AM | 47232

plus just like with artwork each sculptor and mask maker has a different style of their own. You can almost always tell who finished a mask mply by the paint scheme alone. It really all depends on what your conder to be the perfect mask. I think the cool thing that's happening now is other people getting involved to help create the so call perfect Myers mask. You take someones sculpting skills, combine that with your favorite artists paint and then send it off for a custom hair job. That way you can truly get the look you love the most. I think that really is going to be the future of the Myers mask market. Because in my opinion their are over 4 or 5 masks that have hit the H1 look dead on already. You can't really get any better than whats already out there. It's just based on what you feel like the look is. Because the mask looks so different in various shots from movie...

Agreed 100%
DrenTheLiar Tuesday 6/02/2009 at 12:37 AM | 47234

plus just like with artwork each sculptor and mask maker has a different style of their own. You can almost always tell who finished a mask mply by the paint scheme alone. It really all depends on what your conder to be the perfect mask. I think the cool thing that's happening now is other people getting involved to help create the so call perfect Myers mask. You take someones sculpting skills, combine that with your favorite artists paint and then send it off for a custom hair job. That way you can truly get the look you love the most. I think that really is going to be the future of the Myers mask market. Because in my opinion their are over 4 or 5 masks that have hit the H1 look dead on already. You can't really get any better than whats already out there. It's just based on what you feel like the look is. Because the mask looks so different in various shots from movie...

Agreed 100%

wait we can't mply agree in this section Dren!

Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Tuesday 6/02/2009 at 12:39 AM | 47235
This mask sucks.

SithLord Tuesday 6/02/2009 at 12:59 AM | 47242
This mask sucks.

Mines better
kaizu Tuesday 6/02/2009 at 01:17 AM | 47243
OVERDONEWITHGONE
Bridge Tuesday 6/02/2009 at 03:40 AM | 47255
Ive been trying to get a full understanding on this. .

I know when i first joined mm.net it was 2008 and the new films propted me to do some digging. . now im not 100% new to the community. . the last indie mask i was set on buying before i joined was a sean clark halloween II mask WAAAAAY back in the day. . GOD i remember buying the PCUT for the first time in 96' on VHS

I dont know if its just differentiating opinions. . maybe that just trickles industry wide into an over all rude and negative affect. . what i want to know is not so much on what can we do to get everyone to agree (where

the hell is the fun in that) but what can we do to help inprove the over all potivity and. . well. . FUN of this place as well as others!!

I dont want to see any more GOOD people leave! especially the artists!

I LOVE HALLOWEEN (and all of its incarnations) i even got my little girl hooked (Halloween 1, 3, and 4 are her favorites). I dont want this hobby to go anywhere. . or rather go to where i think its going. . Thanks for all the comments and participation from all of you! When i started coming around here. . there was a level of maturity that was increangly becoming absent from the community at large. . lets keep this place active. . AND POTIVE!! a place where intellegent questions can be asked and noobies can be politely redirected!
DEUSEXMACHINA222 Tuesday 6/02/2009 at 03:02 PM | 47278
OVERDONEWITHGONE
Bridge Tuesday 6/02/2009 at 03:28 PM | 47280
Dren mentioned the exact mask I was thinking of.

Look nothing like the film & it's not supposed to.

There's a thread on here or someplace else that talks about this actually.

"Wouldn't wanna meet him in a dark alley" type mask - or something like that.

There's also one of the all time favorites, The Samhain.

Yeah, it resembles the good ole' white mask, but is very over exaggerated in the details.

Part of me still wants to own a Samhain because it was the first "white" mask I saw; I can still remember saying, "I've got to have that!"

(There was a mix up & I somehow ended up with a UL75 which I later sold, but hey.)

BooMan hit The Nail on the head about ung several artists.

It's really the best way to go because there are pretty much endless posbilties in this option...& we all have our own opinions on what we think the definitive "white mask" should look like

Hey bro I think that was me talking about THE BUTCHER....cool mask? sure as hell wouldnt wanna see some creep wearing that in an alley on 42nd and 9th BUT I dont see Myers. Its expresonist-but I can appreciate an artists vion. I don't know what to attribute it to but in general people all around seem to be nasty and unhappy over someone else's joy lol. Fighting over masks? You should check out a black/death metal or hardcore forum/board. Everyone is too cool for school and everyone else is an asshole/poser/doesnt get it/etc etc etc!

I think people should be able to voice ANY opinion on a mask....BUT if you dont like it theres a civil way of expresng it....not like "thats a piece of shit" or "it sucks". Are you f'ing brain dead? Dont like a mask? like a mask? hey lets hear why. its awesome conversation and knowledge is exchanged. People stooping to low levels reeks man.

People all around need to maintain a potive outlook (YOT plug if anyone else is as old as me lol). Forums...shit-the WORLD would be a better place!

ny ghoul Tuesday 6/02/2009 at 05:46 PM | 47291
OVERDONEWITHGONE
Bridge Tuesday 6/02/2009 at 06:16 PM | 47293
the old New York straight edge band called YOUTH OF TODAY had a song called "Potive Outlook". I guess someone into hardcore would know about them but they were at their height in the mid to late 80's thus you'd have to be in your 30's to really have appreciated them.

Yeah lol that thread kinda ventured into metal/hardcore but I guess my point was that all "scenes"; "forums" etc tend to have the same drama. why can't we all get along!?!?!

ny ghoul Tuesday 6/02/2009 at 08:11 PM | 47308