Forums Off Topic
The Spirit of Halloween......

Hello Boils and Ghouls. Spirit of Halloween thread is degned to keep you in the mood for the big event. When we are lacking the good feeling and the spirit of Halloween you should be able to come to this thread and get reacquainted with one another. In this thread I ask members to post Halloween pictures of themselves or their childhood Halloween pics, Poems, Ghost stories, Your Favorite Halloween Treat, Vintage Folk Art, History of Halloween etc....We already have a ton of Myers pics so try to refrain from ung those in this thread. Remember keep the Spirit alive. Halloween is just around the corner and sometimes we need that boost to get us their.

I will start off. Here are some pics of just some vintage images of things I remember as a kid. we use to own this witch Love the vintage stuff.

Here are my favorite treats for the Fall.

Matthew Mayhem Sunday 6/07/2009 at 06:50 PM | 47740
This is my birthday party when I was turning 10...

take care, Tommy
Homicidal9 Sunday 6/07/2009 at 06:59 PM | 47741
Wow those are some vintage pics. Thanks for sharing Tommy

Halloween's origins date back to the ancient Celtic festival of Samhain (pronounced sow-in).

The Celts, who lived 2,000 years ago in the area that is now Ireland, the United Kingdom, and northern France, celebrated their new year on November 1. This day marked the end of summer and the harvest and the beginning of the dark, cold winter, a time of year that was often associated with human death. Celts believed that on the night before the new year, the boundary between the worlds of the living and the dead became blurred. On the night of October 31, they celebrated Samhain, when it was believed that the ghosts of the dead returned to earth. In addition to caung trouble and damaging crops, Celts thought that the presence of the otherworldly spirits made it eaer for the Druids, or Celtic priests, to make predictions about the future. For a people entirely dependent on the volatile natural world, these prophecies were an important source of comfort and direction during the long, dark winter.

To commemorate the event, Druids built huge sacred bonfires, where the people gathered to burn crops and animals as sacrifices to the Celtic deities.

During the celebration, the Celts wore costumes, typically consting of animal heads and skins, and attempted to tell each other's fortunes. When the celebration was over, they re-lit their hearth fires, which they had extinguished earlier that evening, from the sacred bonfire to help protect them during the coming winter.

By A.D. 43, Romans had conquered the majority of Celtic territory. In the course of the four hundred years that they ruled the Celtic lands, two festivals of Roman origin were combined with the traditional Celtic celebration of Samhain.

The first was Feralia, a day in late October when the Romans traditionally commemorated the pasng of the dead. The second was a day to honor Pomona, the Roman goddess of fruit and trees. The symbol of Pomona is the apple and the incorporation of this celebration into Samhain probably explains the tradition of "bobbing" for apples that is practiced today on Halloween.

By the 800s, the influence of Christianity had spread into Celtic lands. In the seventh century, Pope Boniface IV degnated November 1 All Saints' Day, a time to honor saints and martyrs. It is widely believed today that the pope was attempting to replace the Celtic festival of the dead with a related, but church-sanctioned holiday. The celebration was also called All-hallows or All-hallowmas (from Middle English Alholowmesse meaning All Saints' Day) and the night before it, the night of Samhain, began to be called All-hallows Eve and, eventually, Halloween. Even later, in A.D. 1000, the church would make November 2 All Souls' Day, a day to honor the dead. It was celebrated milarly to Samhain, with big bonfires, parades, and dresng up in costumes as saints, angels, and devils. Together, the three celebrations, the eve of All Saints', All Saints', and All Souls', were called Hallowmas.
Matthew Mayhem Sunday 6/07/2009 at 08:02 PM | 47752
thanks for posting that mayhem. it gets me excited for the fall.

BIGKen Sunday 6/07/2009 at 09:12 PM | 47753
These aren't vintage or anything, but here's my house (you may have already seen these)

chubacabra Sunday 6/07/2009 at 09:29 PM | 47754
BLACK & GOLD Everything is black and gold, Black and gold, to-night: Yellow pumpkins, yellow moon Yellow candlelight;

Jet-black cats with golden eyes Shadows black as ink, Firelight blinking in the dark With a yellow blinks

Black and gold, black and gold Nothing in between- When the world turns black and gold Then it's Halloween! By:Nancy Byrd Turner

HALLOWEEN Halloween has come at last.

Witches goblins big black cats. Funny faces round about people laugh and people shout....BOO! Up against the moon so high see the ugly witches fly Pumpkin faces laugh at me I'm as scared as I can be!

SHADOWS Shadows of a thousand years rise again unseen,

Voices whisper in the trees, "Tonight is Halloween!"

These are by me:

October DREAMS A time of chilled wind And a Harvest Moon A paper Witch with a knotted broom A Dancing Skeleton and a Whispering Ghost The Old Scarecrow hanging on a post A Jack-O-Lantern burning bright To bring spirits back for just one night The only night of the year to become what you would not dare Candy Apples, something sweet I'll spare you the Trick if you give up the Treat The air is filled with screams, laughter and song All of which vanish at the first light of dawn.

LATE The leaves rattle like old bones

I swear I hear moans It's very late now What is that lurking in the street The ghostly Dead Or a child in a bed sheet It's very late now A monster at my window I gasp I'm not sure if it's real or a rubber mask It's very late now

And nothing is as it seems

It's very late On Halloween.

Halloween MAGIC As the remaining sunlight glows its last I dance out into the night I’m ready for tricks But candy would be nice Anything can happen tonight There is magic in the air I carry my pumpkin Its carved face flickers and burns Amber flames keep the shadows and goblins at bay Can it be scary? You bet But my pillowcase is only half full And I’m not going home yet

Michael Aspinwall Sunday 6/07/2009 at 10:12 PM | 47756
Great thread.

All of my Halloween pictures from childhood are at my dad's house, so here is a picture from my place a few Halloweens back.

Unfortunately I don't have a lot of space to decorate, so I make due with decorating the porch and sometimes the windows.

gummi Sunday 6/07/2009 at 10:14 PM | 47758
Great idea for a thread Matt...here's a few pictures from our yard last Halloween

lblambert Sunday 6/07/2009 at 10:28 PM | 47760
Hey Lee, is that an FCG in your crypt?

And I love the pic of your dog
chubacabra Sunday 6/07/2009 at 10:32 PM | 47761
Hey Lee, is that an FCG in your crypt?

yup
lblambert Sunday 6/07/2009 at 10:38 PM | 47763
oh geez...we have real home haunters in here...lol. They are ung terms and everything FCG=Flying Crank Ghost for those not in the know...

take care, Tommy
Homicidal9 Sunday 6/07/2009 at 10:42 PM | 47765
oh geez...we have real home haunters in here...lol. They are ung terms and everything FCG=Flying Crank Ghost for those not in the know...

take care, Tommy

Oh hellz yeah.

We're legit up in here

chubacabra Sunday 6/07/2009 at 10:47 PM | 47766
most definitely my friend. I was a subscriber to the monster halloween list for years...

Homicidal9 Sunday 6/07/2009 at 11:17 PM | 47770
small world Tommy...so was I
lblambert Sunday 6/07/2009 at 11:18 PM | 47773
Homicidal9 Sunday 6/07/2009 at 11:19 PM | 47774
you can see me in the background of the picture (mom used the flash) and you can also see my icebox fog chiller I made ung the info off the Monster Halloween List. It worked like a charm...

take care, Tommy
Homicidal9 Sunday 6/07/2009 at 11:23 PM | 47776
I never joined the monster halloween list, I use the haunting forums a lot though.

Here's another picture I found

The fog chiller is under the black plastic.

chubacabra Sunday 6/07/2009 at 11:32 PM | 47779
You guy have some awesome pics. Im glad you like the thread. I love that yard Lee
Matthew Mayhem Monday 6/08/2009 at 01:36 AM | 47799
I love halloween.. One time

myself and a buddy dressed up like hookers in the 6th grade (i think).. we had ripped stockings,smeared lipstick, crinkled up lunch money and candy cigarettes. Yeah i got in trouble for that one.. Mom had to come to school with a change of clothes

Freshman year i dress up like a mexican, had sombero, guitar, ponch mustache.. you name it.. all would of been good hadi not left my homework onthe bus and probably should not of played. i was strummin mexican songs and was told that my costume was not pc. had to do a nice 5 page report on the history and cultur of mexicoand had to make a public apology on the psa announcement next monday. note we had no mexicans in our school
Wigglethis Monday 6/08/2009 at 02:40 PM | 47836
I love halloween.. One time

myself and a buddy dressed up like hookers in the 6th grade (i think).. we had ripped stockings,smeared lipstick, crinkled up lunch money and candy cigarettes. Yeah i got in trouble for that one.. Mom had to come to school with a change of clothes

Freshman year i dress up like a mexican, had sombero, guitar, ponch mustache.. you name it.. all would of been good hadi not left my homework onthe bus and probably should not of played. i was strummin mexican songs and was told that my costume was not pc. had to do a nice 5 page report on the history and cultur of mexicoand had to make a public apology on the psa announcement next monday. note we had no mexicans in our school

There is definately something wrong with you....lol
kweandee Monday 6/08/2009 at 03:37 PM | 47838
Awesome pics guys! I dont have any old school pics on my computer to post but from the time I can remember HALLOWEEN was THE holiday of the year for my brother and I. Even more than Xmas. My mom used to make our costumes from scratch....we'd carve pumpkins; bob for apples; of course trick or treat.....decorations. man the tes; the smells; the aura was what dreams are made of. It never left me. I mourn the end of Samhain every year. Its so important to my and my family now that I have kids and also within the circle of my friends as we have followed the "wheel of the year" and all its fests for years now. Samhain being the most important. I cant wait for this year....Halloween on a SATURDAY!
ny ghoul Monday 6/08/2009 at 08:37 PM | 47859
Awesome pics guys! I dont have any old school pics on my computer to post but from the time I can remember HALLOWEEN was THE holiday of the year for my brother and I. Even more than Xmas. My mom used to make our costumes from scratch....we'd carve pumpkins; bob for apples; of course trick or treat.....decorations. man the tes; the smells; the aura was what dreams are made of. It never left me. I mourn the end of Samhain every year. Its so important to my and my family now that I have kids and also within the circle of my friends as we have followed the "wheel of the year" and all its fests for years now. Samhain being the most important. I cant wait for this year....Halloween on a SATURDAY!

An that my friend is what it is all about. I love doing all these things.

Remember these. We use to have the one with the skeletons at the bottom.

Matthew Mayhem Monday 6/08/2009 at 11:32 PM | 47884
Hey I have a few of those Matt...I should dig out my old blowmolds for a pic to post here!
lblambert Monday 6/08/2009 at 11:47 PM | 47885
Hey I have a few of those Matt...I should dig out my old blowmolds for a pic to post here

Sweet....do it brudda
Matthew Mayhem Tuesday 6/09/2009 at 12:45 AM | 47894
Hey I have a few of those Matt...I should dig out my old blowmolds for a pic to post here

Sweet....do it brudda

Ask and thee shall receive...Picked these three up at thrift shops...$1.50 to $1.99

My oldest light-up from the 1950s

Pumpkin pails - 1950s through 1980s (most were thrift shop scores...avg price under $1.00)

The one on the far right of this pic was mine when I was trick-or-treating:

Vintage Costumes (late 1950s to early 1980s)

lblambert Tuesday 6/09/2009 at 03:43 AM | 47920
My oldest light-up from the 1950s

What a cute lamp....lol

This is a great thread...I love Halloween. It's nice to see all the old school halloween stuff, I had a few of those buckets too. lol
kweandee Tuesday 6/09/2009 at 03:52 PM | 47947
Hey Lee, Love those blowmolds.

Great collection to say the least.

I love those costumes as well. I cant get enough.
Matthew Mayhem Tuesday 6/09/2009 at 09:19 PM | 47971
I'm planting pumpkins tomorrow!!!
Michael Aspinwall Tuesday 6/16/2009 at 03:08 AM | 48494
Michael Aspinwall Tuesday 6/16/2009 at 03:11 AM | 48496
My Pumpkin Patch!
Michael Aspinwall Tuesday 6/16/2009 at 09:36 PM | 48561
Michael Aspinwall Saturday 7/11/2009 at 08:49 PM | 50056
Well, nce this is on my mind... and this thread is about Halloween...

I'm planning on having a Halloween bash here at my house, and trying to make it a yearly event with a lot of cool stuff to do.

I'm also leaving an open invite to any Horrorbid freaks or other friends and fiends from around the U.S, should they want to attend.But here is my dilemma, having never done this before... I want it to be really cool and have plenty to do.

So any ideas for cool things to do at a Halloween party? I plan on making my backyard the primary hangout place, with a fire pit, beer, lots of lighting/fog machines, food, and muc. Hopefully nobody falls in the pit and pulls a Tramer on me. The living room will be decorated heavily and will show a non stop horror movie marathon with all the requite clascs.

I will host a costume contest, which every contestant will donate $5 to a pot for the winner.

Everyone attending must be in costume, and the top 5 finalists will be given away some free swag for being top dog.

Number one guy or gal will get the pot also.Other than that, I have no idea what to do.

Any help would be AWESOME.And Florida or Southern HB people, you guys are more than welcome to come...

and you have a place to stay if you do.

DarkArtist81 Wednesday 7/15/2009 at 05:40 PM | 50271
Michael Aspinwall Sunday 7/19/2009 at 04:51 AM | 50396
Well, nce this is on my mind... and this thread is about Halloween...

I'm planning on having a Halloween bash here at my house, and trying to make it a yearly event with a lot of cool stuff to do.

I'm also leaving an open invite to any Horrorbid freaks or other friends and fiends from around the U.S, should they want to attend.But here is my dilemma, having never done this before... I want it to be really cool and have plenty to do.

So any ideas for cool things to do at a Halloween party? I plan on making my backyard the primary hangout place, with a fire pit, beer, lots of lighting/fog machines, food, and muc. Hopefully nobody falls in the pit and pulls a Tramer on me. The living room will be decorated heavily and will show a non stop horror movie marathon with all the requite clascs.

I will host a costume contest, which every contestant will donate $5 to a pot for the winner.

Everyone attending must be in costume, and the top 5 finalists will be given away some free swag for being top dog.

Number one guy or gal will get the pot also.Other than that, I have no idea what to do.

Any help would be AWESOME.And Florida or Southern HB people, you guys are more than welcome to come...

and you have a place to stay if you do.

you could have a jack o lantern carving contest also if ya wanted. I would maybe show movies outde, ung the de of the house...a sheet and a projector. If there are gonna be kids there, make sure to have something for them to do as well.

take care, Tommy
Homicidal9 Monday 7/20/2009 at 07:27 PM | 50468
I did a few of these in my day. JOL carving as Tommy said. Also a Pinata would be nice. When I do the costume contest I dont do money I use small vintage style prizes
Matthew Mayhem Sunday 8/02/2009 at 11:49 PM | 51454
Thanks for the input guys, I will definitely add some of this to the lineup.

It's gone great so far, I have a few out of town guests coming... and have bought a lot of stuff to help get it done.

I can't wait until Oct so I can start decorating.

DarkArtist81 Monday 8/10/2009 at 01:26 AM | 51887
Michael Aspinwall Friday 8/14/2009 at 10:21 PM | 52222
Awesome pics man!

DarkArtist81 Saturday 8/15/2009 at 02:17 PM | 52295
Way to keep up the spirit Mikey!
DrenTheLiar Saturday 8/15/2009 at 03:48 PM | 52304

DarkArtist81 Sunday 8/16/2009 at 03:00 PM | 52389
Awesome pics everyone. It gets me even more into the spirit. I'll have to post some pics soon of my stuff as I have Halloween up just about all year round. Thank god my g/f loves it tooo.
cropsy Friday 8/21/2009 at 10:51 PM | 52996

Michael Aspinwall Saturday 9/05/2009 at 12:42 AM | 53940
Awesome pics!

That skeleton costume is so cool.

And now I'm cravin a donut (we still need a drooling smiley)
chubacabra Saturday 9/05/2009 at 12:46 AM | 53942
Michael Aspinwall Tuesday 9/08/2009 at 07:24 PM | 54261
Close up pics I did of my Key holder in my office. The Owl is about the ze of a small shelled peanut. The Spider is the ze of a dime. I think you get it, they are all small. lol

Wanted to update this thread with some Halloweenie pics. Lets keep this fall feeling going. Enjoy and thanks to all that posted.

Matthew Mayhem Friday 9/25/2009 at 12:24 AM | 55241

DarkArtist81 Friday 10/30/2009 at 01:46 AM | 57263
my favorite time of the year and my favorite holiday!
VoltronLions Friday 5/13/2011 at 09:03 PM | 76220
here is the heavy pics of this years Halloween, posted these pics on a few of my fave horror forums. At times I am just gonna miss Halloween best time of the year. The whole weekend from Friday to saterday was fantastic. I am surprised when I look at the pics on how big and tall I am. It was frustrating that not many recognise sackhead Jason but they thought I looked creepy has hell, next year will be sackhead Jason again, but I may look to improve the sackhead and get a new one

horrorfan85 Tuesday 11/01/2011 at 09:11 PM | 86294
Pictures are awesome, good to know that about The Spirit of Halloween, thanks for sharing this information, pictures are awesome...
edgan11 Tuesday 11/22/2011 at 10:31 AM | 87334
what is everyone going this Halloween? try and revive the old topic
horrorfan85 Thursday 9/27/2012 at 07:01 PM | 96701
Well here is a couple of pics of my costume, like always the Jason remake costume. But the costume has been updated.

First the hockey veron masked and unmasked, that I will be going out on Halloween

unmasked

sackhead veron

horrorfan85 Sunday 10/07/2012 at 06:48 PM | 96904