Forums Horror Movie Talk
Behind the Mask with DarkSide Paul

Where do I begin. I have been wanting to do this interview nce the birth of this te and the stars finally alligned. Darkde Paul is a man that I have admired nce I got into this hobby many, many, many moons ago. To see Paul grow as an artist and buness man has truly become an inspiration for myself. Being able to create amazing pieces of art in latex form all while keeping the price centered around us blue collar collectors is what this hobby was built on. As the hobby has grown more and more artists have raised the bar but with that comes prices that many of us mply can't afford. There are mask makers and then there are mask companies. I put Darkde Studios in the latter category.

TO CHECK OUT ALL OF PAUL'S CURRENT WORK AND FOR ORDERING INFORMATION PLEASE VIT....
href="http://darkdestudio.com/

Here is a brief history for those that might not be familiar with Paul's work. This can be found on his webte under the "about us" tab.

"We offer some of the worlds nicest masks at a decent price. We also offer some of the best customer service that you can find!! My Name is Darkde Paul,at least what they call me. I started Darkde Studio back in 1995 out of my garage and laundry room in my house.

nce then we have moved into a bigger studio that can accomidate larger production. Pretty much, we are one of the first mask tes that appeared on the web, I guess that is something to be proud of. I, along with a small production team produce the stuff that you find on this te. Everything is produced here, so I oversee all of

the pieces.I also personally check everything that leaves here, that it is of the highest quality. My wife Kim, does the buness book work, which keeps her pretty busy. My twin Sons- Scott and Chris help out in the busy season with painting and hairing. My other asstant Al, can pretty much do it all but airbrush. So, he is well worth the money that he is paid. I have two other children who would be upset if I didn't mention them-Hi Marriah and Jake!! They are 10 and 4. The great web degn is done by my old friend Gary Phillips, he does such a wonderful job each and everytime-Thank You Gary for you great web skills! We also like to carry lots of different types of artists work. It makes for a great variety and some cool stuff. Special thanks to the wonderful sculptors

that help us create such a wide array of mask each and every year. Thanks to- Jeremy Bohr,Pete Infelise,Doug Goins, Jeff Wehenkel , Joe Lester,Don Lanning, Jon Fuller, John Smith, Vincent Van dyke,

Jamie Salmon, and Joe Riley. Special thanks goes out to Jeff Death for helping us throughout the years, without your insperation, there would be no Darkde. So, after reading this long speech, take a look around and enjoy your stay at "Darkde".

Darkde Paul

Now onto the interview. Hopefully this will give you a sneak peak into the life of Darkde Studios and what exactly makes Paul still giddy about that sweet pungent smell of latex...

How did you get started in mask making?

I've been an artist as long as I can remember. Drawing as a child, sculpting in ceramics in High School and starting creating creatures and monsters for the yard beyond that. Found Death Studios and my curiouty made me order Jeff's How to make masks video. The video is quite scary if you haven't watched it. From an artist standpoint, it looks super involved from start to finish. I found Monster Makers and started ung their clay and armature. Needless to say, the bug had bitten. I still have photos of my first sculpt,mold,and copy. I do still own my first mask I have ever made. What mask maker can say that?

Met my future long time friend and co-monster creator Pete Infelise, he inspired me and asked me to produce some of his degns. Darkde was born shortly after. With the help of various artists like Jeff Death,Doug Goins,Jeremy Bohr,and an unending list of talented artists, Darkde grew and bloomed into the beast it is today. How important is it to strike a balance between being an artist and a bunessman to survive in this buness?

Personally, being an artist is about 40% of the job. The bunessman de is the main key. You could sell doody burgers if you market them right. I know it is funny and all but it is true. Yes, burgers made from poop. If you found a way to tell people that burgers made from dog poop was healthy for them,people would buy them. Presentation is another thing. If you show off your works in a profesonal manner, you can sel sell sell. Look at what happened at Mask Fest. We were super busy at the Darkde booth. Right price, right look and we sold 80% of what we brought. I think it was my Phil Collins look that sold the stuff! (: Price is a big thing for me at Darkde. I could charge $200 + for my stuff ,but I wouldn't sell alot. I can honestly say that I spend as much time if not more time than alot of artists on my stuff. I would rather sell a hundred masks at $75 than 25 masks at $200. I know it is crazy but it is something that was burned in the old brain from the Death Studios days. I love to sell in numbers.

Now,finally the artist thing- I've been an artist nce I was young. If you told me I would make money doing these kinds of things in my 30's and 40's. I'd laugh at you. It was my wish but i didn't think that it would happen. I find most mask makers who focus mainly on the artist thing suffer the buness de. This works vice versa as well. You can make 25 decent masks and only sell 5 masks a year. Mask makers must try and find a level ground somewhere between.

A point I'd like to make to people who are thinking about doing this kind of thing is: You must become a number of things. A degner,a sculptor,a moldmaker,a painter,an airbrush artist,a semi chemist,a hair stylist,a marketeer,a shipping expert, a trend follower,and among anything else a social worker. Take my advice-go buy one of those cool crotch rocket bikes and pick up women. Life will be more interesting! :)I recall reading in a Horrorhound interview that Halloween is your favorite horror movie. Why haven’t we seen a Myers mask from Darkde Studios?

Halloween is my favorite Horror film because it is the closest to being a real story. This is what scared the yell out of me.

As for a Darkde Myers- you guys need to check out your Darkde history books. My third sculpt was the DarkShape. I'll take a tiny bit of credit. My sculpt was the first sculpted Myers offered through the internet. We are going back to 1996 here folks. The sculpt was not good and I still sold a ton of them. This was before the great Myers craze. I believe I offered them through the old Back Talk Message board. I do know that Eric Austin and Steve Todd bought one. Scary memory I have, my wife hates this about me!How do you feel the advent of Myers collecting has affected the hobby as a whole?

There was a time that I thought that the Myers market took from my de of this thing. I've been proven wrong. The people who collect Myers masks will continue to collect just that. People who buy from me will be happy with just one or no Myers in there collections. I love a good Myers mask, But I'm happy with just one tting here.How has family played a roll in the success of Darkde Studios?

My brother gave me a hundred dollars in 1995 to by an armature and some clay. He saw that I had a strong dere for this thing I do.

My wife helped me name Darkde. We were both tting and talking about a name that I could use. I kept saying how I wanted the name to represent a Darkde of myself. I blurted out "How about Darkde Studio"? She told me that she was just thinking the same as I was. Kim is my book keeper and without her, Darkde would go bye-bye My mother makes the collars for the clowns and my Father goes with me to pick up the drums of latex each and everytime I go.

My twin sons-Chris and Scott are my asstants. They are 17 years old and can sponge paint and base coat along with hair with some of the best makers out there. They have even sculpted a mask or two. A chip off of the old block. My 12 year old daughter has shown some interest in learning the biz in the next few years. Jacob, my x year old comes in and helps Daddy paint some bad blanks. He is starting somewhere. The boy can mix his colors.

I have a grand-daughter coming in Sept-Oct. So I'm sure she will be part of "Darkde" in some form.

Yes, you read right-Grandpa-Darkde!

So, I guess family is a huge part of Darkde.There is much anticipation for this years lineup of masks. How many are you offering this year and can you give us a sneak peak on what we might expect?

We are just as excited. Some stuff has been run off from last year. Stuff that didn't make it into the line-up last year, will this year. Things must be good if you have too much.

We are going to be releang 12-15 new degns. Some familar faces and some from the past. Some familar painted face fellows and a few hockey masked wearing dudes will be showing up. Maybe I'll send you a pic or two for a preview. We always like to surprise the Darkde regulars. Darkde has been known to surprise the mask world, and we never disappoint!Are there any regrets you've had nce starting Darkde Studios?

I guess there are two- One is I wished I would have begun a few years earlier. But it wasn't my time yet.

Next is- I wished I wouldn't have had a falling out with a certain mask maker. I won't name them but it isn't hard to figure out. In hindght, it was over stupid stuff and in my advancing age I see things much more different and clear. The world is a funny place, you can never say never. After a year of anger management, I see lots of things much much clearer.I have noticed several photos over the years of your Halloween yard displays you set up. How long have you been doing this?

I've been at the yard thing nce 1986 or 87. I made a huge dummy for my front yard and put it out. I'm riding past my house on the school bus and I heard a kid say "Damn that dummy looks scary"! The seed was planted.

One other part was in 1984 my grandfather hung himself in his garage on Oct 30th. I had a choice either abandon the Halloween thing or embrace it. You know what I did! Plus it helped keep my mind off of the incident. They always say that the things that hurt you the most ,make you stronger.You’ve been a friend of HorrorBid for some time now. Is there anything you would like to see different about our te or forum?

Hell yeah! More Darkde coverage!!! Really, I think you guys have carved yourself a nice spot on the web. You guys are taking on the monster called Fee-bay!Now in this next section we did something a little different a first if you will for our Behind the Mask interviews. We gave Paul a phrase and he gave his first reaction. This is something we hope to do more of in the future. Thanks Paul for being our first!

Death Studios- What can I say Jeff Death is still Yoda. If you would ever model yourself after a successful company , why not the best?!

The Mask Maker- Gary is one of the most talented webmasters I have ever seen. That is why it is over 10 years of working with the guy.

He is a damn good friend and we have been through alot together.

Jeremy Bohr- One of the best friends that I've ever had. Plus the guy is one of the most talented mask artists

that is out there. Thanks Jeremy.

Jason Voorhees- He'll always be second to Michael Myers, I hate to say it. But, he makes me alot of money.

The Economy - Terrible, but is controlled by the media. We will overcome it and be stronger!

Latex- If Wolverine has adamantium in his bones. I have latex in mine!

The Halloween Season- Hell time! But it is an experience each and every year.

Horrorbid-An up and coming webte that must not Forget Darkde Paulie when they make it big!!!!

Clara Peller- The sexiest woman to ever walk the planet and had the the sexiest commercial line in history!!! If you don't know who she is-google her!

Chimp Eden- The best show on Tv!

Judge Judy- Almost every mask ever painted here at Darkde has watched an episode or two with me. For some strange bizarre reason, I have a Judge Judy addiction. Beats booze and drugs, I guess.

Now onto some rare Darkde Stduios pictures from over the years...

http://www.darkdestudio.net/darkde/IMAGE_TOP.jpg" class="photoborder" />

Thanks for the great interview Paul!

Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Monday 6/15/2009 at 07:16 PM | 48448
Awesome interview!

I've been waiting to see a DSP interview!

Paul's masks are what got me into mask collecting, can't wait to see whats coming out this year
chubacabra Monday 6/15/2009 at 07:28 PM | 48449
now thats a cool interview. ds makes some of the best affordable masks out there. i own many.

oldskool Monday 6/15/2009 at 08:00 PM | 48450
Great interview!

I love my Darkde masks.

Paul is one of the best guys to order from.
Evildsm Monday 6/15/2009 at 09:05 PM | 48457
Great interview!! I have a sudden urge to buy lots of things from Darkde Stduio!
Michael Aspinwall Monday 6/15/2009 at 09:32 PM | 48459
Great interview!! I have a sudden urge to buy lots of things from Darkde Stduio!

DO IT! ;)
Evildsm Monday 6/15/2009 at 09:46 PM | 48461
I have to give it to Paul and the crew at Darkde for making some of the best masks out there for the money. I saw the new jason mask they just did at Mikes and I will be buying one sometime soon.
quietonthesetstudios Monday 6/15/2009 at 10:39 PM | 48469
yea, dsp is a nice guy, he knows his stuff, and you get what you pay for.

michael aspinwall?- if you buy from Darkde you WONT be dissapointed.

great interview.
scaryzack Monday 6/15/2009 at 10:48 PM | 48470
Oh, Paul, will Frank the Bunny be making an appearance this year?

Just kidding Keep up the good work
chubacabra Monday 6/15/2009 at 10:52 PM | 48471
good questions. i own a smiling jack from darkde and love it. like everyone else has already said for the money you cant beat it. wish more artists could do that.
joelsparks Monday 6/15/2009 at 11:08 PM | 48472
Love their masks!

Klempo Monday 6/15/2009 at 11:22 PM | 48473
Not only does Paul put out some fantastic stuff but he's also one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet in this hobby. I'm very fortunate to call him a friend.

National Geographic did a Halloween show last year and they included a segment on Darkde Studios. I found the Youtube link for it:

lblambert Monday 6/15/2009 at 11:28 PM | 48474
Darkde Paul is one of my favorite humans! Proud to call him a friend and it is GREAT to see him getting some eye-time for all his hard work!

Go Paulie!!!

http://halloween-mask.com/anim/title_anim.
Halloween-Mask.com Monday 6/15/2009 at 11:41 PM | 48476
horror bid and dark de studios. im in heaven. what a great interview. pauls work speaks for itself.

customcritters Tuesday 6/16/2009 at 12:07 AM | 48477
wow....what a great interview.....Paul is definitely all class.....

-matt
pooch Tuesday 6/16/2009 at 12:30 AM | 48479
kick ass interivew. i hope to see more of paul around here. i own a couple of his hoods and theyre top quality.

pamelavoorheesRIP Tuesday 6/16/2009 at 12:42 AM | 48483
Paul is a class act, through and through. Can't go wrong with him or his products. I myself, have a number of things from them right here. Great turn around time to. I also remember he did some 99 Kirk converons back in the day to. He said he had to go to thearpy after he saw HalloweeN for the first time LOL. That's a true fan right there.

SithLord Tuesday 6/16/2009 at 12:50 AM | 48485
great read. i always like reading these interviews hbid.
BIGKen Tuesday 6/16/2009 at 02:13 AM | 48490
Everyone here knows how much I respect and admire Paul Daniels. He is one of, if not the best in the Mask making buness. I can honestly say I will be a life long customer of Darkde Studios...

take care, Tommy

btw...some pics of my Darkde Pieces...

Homicidal9 Tuesday 6/16/2009 at 04:17 AM | 48507
Yeah Tommy, we were going to do a "Cribs" veron of Paul's house based on the money you have sent him for those werewolves! In all seriousness. Your Darkde collection is impresve. A personal favorite of mine is the Thriller bust. Throw on the jacket and the glove, your set.

How about a Teen Wolf mask? PAULIE how hard would we have to twist your arm????
Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Tuesday 6/16/2009 at 04:34 AM | 48509
I'd like to thank the HorrorBid crew for being so nice! When I agreed to do this interview- I was sure to stress- I'd like to do something different. As you can tell I cannot take life too seriously. The moment that I do-look out! Thank you Justin and crew! I would also like to thank all of you members for the nice words. It is quite an honor to have you saying the great things being said. I remember starting this thing not looking for any fame or credit. It was for my love of masks. Thank you all. This means the world to me. You'll wish that you didn't ask me to come over here to start posting regularly

Thank you again! P
DarkSidePaul Tuesday 6/16/2009 at 09:14 PM | 48557
LOL, Justin...

You stole my Teenwolf idea.

I would LOVE to see a Teenwolf.
Evildsm Tuesday 6/16/2009 at 09:33 PM | 48559
LOL, Justin...

i would give a kidney for a legit teenwolf mask!

pamelavoorheesRIP Tuesday 6/16/2009 at 09:40 PM | 48562
LOL, Justin...

i would give a kidney for a legit teenwolf mask!I would give one of your kidneys too.
Evildsm Tuesday 6/16/2009 at 10:10 PM | 48575
LOL, Justin...

i would give a kidney for a legit teenwolf mask!I would give one of your kidneys too.

pamelavoorheesRIP Tuesday 6/16/2009 at 10:16 PM | 48576
great read and great masks. having paul here is great.

sausagecake Tuesday 6/16/2009 at 10:48 PM | 48580
what the hay, ill throw in a kidney also for that ds teenwolf mask.

customcritters Tuesday 6/16/2009 at 11:32 PM | 48584
I'd like to thank the HorrorBid crew for being so nice! When I agreed to do this interview- I was sure to stress- I'd like to do something different. As you can tell I cannot take life too seriously. The moment that I do-look out! Thank you Justin and crew! I would also like to thank all of you members for the nice words. It is quite an honor to have you saying the great things being said. I remember starting this thing not looking for any fame or credit. It was for my love of masks. Thank you all. This means the world to me. You'll wish that you didn't ask me to come over here to start posting regularly

Thank you again! P

well Paul judging by the response to the interview here I would say you have carved yourself out quite the fan base. If you start gning autographs I want a cut.It just goes to show that nice guys can finish first!

I do want to comment on the pic we took at the Mask-Fest weekend....

is it just me or does it look like I just drank out of the wrong grail? what the hell kind of face am I making?
Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Wednesday 6/17/2009 at 02:58 AM | 48596
Damn Paul, your interview is as popular as Derek MearsI do want to comment on the pic we took at the Mask-Fest weekend....

is it just me or does it look like I just drank out of the wrong grail? what the hell kind of face am I making? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Nice
chubacabra Wednesday 6/17/2009 at 03:43 AM | 48601

Thank you again! P

well Paul judging by the response to the interview here I would say you have carved yourself out quite the fan base. If you start gning autographs I want a cut.It just goes to show that nice guys can finish first!

I do want to comment on the pic we took at the Mask-Fest weekend....

is it just me or does it look like I just drank out of the wrong grail? what the hell kind of face am I making?he chose poorly!

BIGKen Wednesday 6/17/2009 at 04:31 AM | 48605

is it just me or does it look like I just drank out of the wrong grail? what the hell kind of face am I making?

I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings J but that's how you normally look.

lblambert Wednesday 6/17/2009 at 03:20 PM | 48625
damn...Lee beat me to it. Justin, that is actually one of the better pictures you have taken.

take care, Tommy
Homicidal9 Wednesday 6/17/2009 at 03:26 PM | 48629
Now that was funny Lee and Tommy!!! P
DarkSidePaul Wednesday 6/17/2009 at 06:48 PM | 48641
entertaining read and i also love darkde masks.

originfan Wednesday 6/17/2009 at 09:24 PM | 48657
Now that was funny Lee and Tommy!!! P

Ahhh don't encourage them Paul, I get it bad enough as it is!

Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Thursday 6/18/2009 at 05:37 AM | 48687
Great interview and certainly top notch masks. I will definately have to buy some of them.
cropsy Thursday 6/18/2009 at 11:32 AM | 48690
I've never actually purchased anything from Paul, but I have done my fair share of window shopping. His pieces are just stunning, and the ammount of work he puts into them really shows. You're a very talented man Paul. Thanks for the great interview too, by the way.
Myers31TKD Thursday 6/18/2009 at 02:18 PM | 48692
very kool read. i always like pauls masks.
blankanator Thursday 6/18/2009 at 09:12 PM | 48727
Sorry Justin, you resemble the Gerber Baby

Thank you guys again, the interview was fun and I hope it was as fun to read. P
DarkSidePaul Friday 6/19/2009 at 05:31 AM | 48760

man, he's got jokes too! Paul I'll get you back. I have the power of photoshop behind me and a few photos of you that are just begging for some creative "altering"....

Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Friday 6/19/2009 at 05:51 AM | 48761

man, he's got jokes too! Paul I'll get you back. I have the power of photoshop behind me and a few photos of you that are just begging for some creative "altering"....

You might have some photoshop skills but you are always going to be Horrorbids official Whale Vagina.

Evildsm Friday 6/19/2009 at 05:58 AM | 48762

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! Best thing I've heard all week.
Myers31TKD Friday 6/19/2009 at 02:06 PM | 48768

BIGKen Friday 6/19/2009 at 08:48 PM | 48814
dsp seems like a great guy. i always like reading these.
bartsart Friday 6/19/2009 at 10:32 PM | 48829
great read.
El Diablo Monday 6/22/2009 at 04:14 PM | 49019
just went to the webte and am thinking about snagging one of those smillin jacks. does anyone know how long it takes once you have made payment to get your mask in the mail?
Dunge44 Thursday 6/25/2009 at 12:00 AM | 49149
Took me two weeks to get both of my remake jasons.
Evildsm Thursday 6/25/2009 at 05:19 PM | 49175
Took me two weeks to get both of my remake jasons.

Thats great to know and very fast turnaround. Thanks for the heads up.
Dunge44 Saturday 7/25/2009 at 01:05 AM | 49181