Forums Horror Collectibles
the myers market

has all this garbage that has come out recently with cgp and nik hurt the myers market you think?
customcritters Monday 7/13/2009 at 11:33 PM | 50168
No. Terry's the one who is being sought out. I don't see what Nik has done wrong.
DrenTheLiar Tuesday 7/14/2009 at 12:34 AM | 50172
No. Terry's the one who is being sought out. I don't see what Nik has done wrong.

I second that - I see no wrong in anything Nik has done.
Bridge Tuesday 7/14/2009 at 05:12 PM | 50196
Please don't mention Terry and Nik in the same phrase lol.
ny ghoul Wednesday 7/15/2009 at 01:42 AM | 50236
the whole myers mania thing has gotten out of hand with ludicrous prices and shady buness dealings. i mean lets be honest here, i see masks that arent myers that are way more detailed and have more time spent on them that cost a small fraction of what some folks charge for myers masks. ya ya i know supply and demand blah blah blah but i like to collect masks but i am on a very small budget and cant afford much of anything over 100 bucks (and nowadays its even less than that) and i know im not the only one.
Johnny Bisco Wednesday 7/15/2009 at 03:44 AM | 50250
I'd love to be able to buy more but I am getting to the point I just don't get as excited over Myers like I used to and I am sure some of it is the fact I can't afford as much as I used to before the baby but it has kind of lost some of the fun. I have come to prefer the other masks much more and certainly like the details in many other masks and of course the price. I am not sure how much the stuff with Terry has hurt the hobby and unfortunately the "rumors" about Nik's sculpt be it right or not I am sure has not helped him. It just seems like there is more scamming or at least talked about in the Myers part then any other IMO.
cropsy Wednesday 7/15/2009 at 09:30 AM | 50258
It just seems like there is more scamming or at least talked about in the Myers part then any other IMO.

This is a very good point and a big part of why I think the whole Myers collecting fad has been tapering off for a while now. The big problem with the Myers collecting community is that the crowd generally tends to be younger, the masks were selling for big money, and they seemed easy to make...this combined to create a tuation with a lot of inexperienced people deciding to become mask-makers when they had no clue whatsoever how to deal with the buness end of it. In the end, the Myers community had a higher percentage of 'artists' taking as many orders as they could and some people didn't have the ability to fill them. Combine that with the fact the Myers crowd, being younger than other collectors, are more affected by the current receson and it was only a matter of time before the market got so saturated and the prices so high that it couldn't sustain itself.

This tuation with Terry and the rumors surrounding Nik's new Kirk are nothing new to this area of the hobby...this drama is par for the course in Myers collecting. With uninformed kids trying to sound knowledgeable by screaming 'recast' and/or bashing every new sculpt, a lot of the legit artists finally got fed up and decided to focus their attention elsewhere. On top of that, quite a few of the older collectors (who tend to have more money to spend on the hobby) got fed up with all the drama and started collecting in other areas which contributed to artists producing other stuff...after all the artists who have to make a living will produce what their customer base wants.

mply put, yes the Myers market is tapering off but it's not due to this latest Terry drama nor the Nik rumors...it's a combination of a lot of things.
lblambert Wednesday 7/15/2009 at 06:48 PM | 50273
It just seems like there is more scamming or at least talked about in the Myers part then any other IMO.

This is a very good point and a big part of why I think the whole Myers collecting fad has been tapering off for a while now. The big problem with the Myers collecting community is that the crowd generally tends to be younger, the masks were selling for big money, and they seemed easy to make...this combined to create a tuation with a lot of inexperienced people deciding to become mask-makers when they had no clue whatsoever how to deal with the buness end of it. In the end, the Myers community had a higher percentage of 'artists' taking as many orders as they could and some people didn't have the ability to fill them. Combine that with the fact the Myers crowd, being younger than other collectors, are more affected by the current receson and it was only a matter of time before the market got so saturated and the prices so high that it couldn't sustain itself.

This tuation with Terry and the rumors surrounding Nik's new Kirk are nothing new to this area of the hobby...this drama is par for the course in Myers collecting. With uninformed kids trying to sound knowledgeable by screaming 'recast' and/or bashing every new sculpt, a lot of the legit artists finally got fed up and decided to focus their attention elsewhere. On top of that, quite a few of the older collectors (who tend to have more money to spend on the hobby) got fed up with all the drama and started collecting in other areas which contributed to artists producing other stuff...after all the artists who have to make a living will produce what their customer base wants.

mply put, yes the Myers market is tapering off but it's not due to this latest Terry drama nor the Nik rumors...it's a combination of a lot of things.

CAN I GET AN AMEN?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
Homicidal9 Wednesday 7/15/2009 at 09:59 PM | 50286
AMEN AMEN AAAAAAAAAAAMEN!
Evildsm Thursday 7/16/2009 at 03:32 PM | 50303

CAN I GET AN AMEN?!?!?!?!?!?!? Amen to that!

I very much agree. Also there is so much favoritism and competition in the Myers community. A lot of secret masks poping up here and there.I'm very digusted with this...
kaizu Thursday 7/16/2009 at 03:36 PM | 50304
Well said Lee....

Ultimately I blame the minformed asshole kids who ruin everything and also some of the blame has to go on the artists. I understand that Myers has been so many artists' rent and meal ticket but c'mon!

If Sam and guys like Andrew at JITB can charge prices that are fair to the consumers then why can't the others?

Ok....a limited run with more expenve hair? fine. There surely are exceptions. But for the most part.....myers masks that are unlimited or limited high runs?

I also think the mask guide that used to be here (which will now re-emerge at MM.net) was insane! How could a Warlock that was produced like crazy go up in value?

Too many con artists; idiot younger fans; and bad timing I think by guys like Nik and Bry with these uber priced masks.....

ny ghoul Thursday 7/16/2009 at 03:48 PM | 50306

CAN I GET AN AMEN?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Ditto! Personally, I always thought that Myers masks were too highly priced as it was... and it got really hard dealing with all of the snot nosed bastards who picked things apart and spread crazy rumors.... it's lly IMO.And hey, I LOVE Halloween... it's my favorite horror film of all time.

And I love my white masks, and will continue to collect them.

But I really hope the market changes.

We just need artists who make them because they love the character and want to tackle the project, not people who are just out for a quick buck and don't give a crap about the fans.
DarkArtist81 Thursday 7/16/2009 at 07:42 PM | 50309