Forums Horror Collectibles
HSS SAM MCCAIN SPEAKS ON JAY ALLEN SITUATION...

At the request of Jay Allen I decided to post my findings on the Jay Allen mask tuation. I am not here to bash anyone or start another bashing thread. These are the facts that were found on examination of the mask in Jay Allen's posseson.

I was contacted by Jay sometime in February. He explained to me that he had sent his 75 Kirk to Terry Lambert the year before to be restored and foamed and what he got back didn't look right. He wanted someone that had worked at Don Post studios to verify that his Kirk was legitimate. I also owned a 75' Kirk for about 6 years. I also have all of the original measurements of the original 75' Kirk. He filled me in on what it looked like before he sent it to Terry and sent me all of his pics. He then shipped the mask that he received back from Terry to me. I noticed immediately that the box was VERY heavy.

I could tell right away that the mask was too small to be a real Kirk and as I stated before I have the original measurements of a real Kirk.

This mask was at least 14% smaller than a real Kirk. It also was extremely heavy. I told Jay I needed to try and get to the edge of the mask to look at the latex. This mask was sealed at the bottom with a lot of latex and painted black. I started digging to try and find the edge but couldn't find it. After a lot of digging I found the edge of the latex and found that it was 1/4 inch thick! I tried to pull the slit in the back apart and it wouldn't open. So I took a razor blade and slit it again..in the same slit. I found that although the slit was there it was MOLDED there. Meaning this seemed to be a recast. I told Jay I need to remove the foam which took me almost 1/2 hour to remove it. This mask had been foamed up to the chin...then the neck was filled with plaster and then sealed over with latex to hide the edges of the latex.

This mask with all foam and filler removed weighed 4 POUNDS. It was so thick you could lay it on it's de and it would not collapse. It was very rough inde and was 1/2 inch thick in the top of the head, and 1/4 inch thick in areas around the neck and slit. A normal mask weighs less than 1 pound. Usually 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch thick. The eyes, nose and ear holes were painted black to mulate cut out latex. But they were not cut out. When I examined the slit after I had cut it open I found that the latex was NEW. There was no gn of old latex at all. This was new and milky. Don Post Kirks were cast in Flesh colored latex. Which after 30 years would have been darker.

This information was presented to the District Attorney and to Jay's insurance company.

There is no doubt that the mask Jay received was a bad example of a recast and a lot of work went into trying to hide the edges of the mask so the latex wouldn't be examined. From the before pictures I can say that this was cast from a mold taken from Jay's Kirk. I have no idea what happened to Jay Allen's Kirk but I can tell you for a fact that this recast was not it. It also was not an old mask covered in latex in an attempt to preserve it.
SithLord Sunday 7/19/2009 at 11:59 PM | 50448
Wow...all I can say to that....

I cannot believe Terry would even try to pull that. I noticed it the first time I saw the pics of the recast. I can tell by the paint and hair alone that it is Terry's finishing.
DrenTheLiar Monday 7/20/2009 at 10:16 PM | 50477
Terry was either:

a) insane b) a desperado c) had balls the ze of melons
ny ghoul Tuesday 7/21/2009 at 12:52 AM | 50493
Terry was either:

a) insane b) a desperado c) had balls the ze of melonsor

d) all of the above
DrenTheLiar Tuesday 7/21/2009 at 01:08 AM | 50497