Forums Horror Collectibles
A question for all you collectors out there

Hey everyone.

I have something I'd like to run by everyone and get your thoughts on.

About a week ago I was browng another forum when I came across a post made by another member showing pictures of a recent score.

In the post he stated that he didn't often post pictures because he didn't like to brag about his collection.

My question to you is when you see someone post pictures, do you ever conder it bragging?

Personally, I love seeing everyone's collection pictures, and I also love taking pictures of my own masks to share with the community.

I never condered it as bragging before and just assumed that everyone would be as anxious to see new scores as I always am, but after reading that post it got me to thinking how others might actually feel about it.

Just curious on your thoughts.
gummi Tuesday 8/04/2009 at 10:05 AM | 51527
I honestly think it depends on the person. Me personally, I don't take it as bragging. I love to see all the different masks/busts that people acquire, old and new. And I love to share things in my collection with others.

Jonny
JLuck Tuesday 8/04/2009 at 02:32 PM | 51529
I dont see it as bragging.

In fact, I like seeing users post up what they have because it helps me decide if I want that particular piece or not.

It helps me ft through the crap. LOL
Evildsm Tuesday 8/04/2009 at 02:59 PM | 51532
We buy masks because we like them and like to display them. We are a part of a community that shares the same interests as we do so we share our collections. If people are threatened by a collection or mask post I think that is really lame and something is wrong with a collector to feel that way toward another collector. It's all about having fun and to be honest I take pics of my new stuff because my friends want to see it and others do as well. First and foremost I collect things that make me happy. I don't really care if others agree with me or not when

it comes to something I want to spend my money on and display in my home.
quietonthesetstudios Tuesday 8/04/2009 at 03:44 PM | 51535
I don't thnink of it as bragging but it sure makes me wish I had some of that stuff. I like seeing others collections.
HorrorFreak Tuesday 8/04/2009 at 03:50 PM | 51537
I am with you guys! It's sharring a hobby with everyone... I like to see other's collections! I find it to be very awesome when I have a stack of collections to look through. "LEE". lol... Never know what all you will find in a picture.

So this guy is warpped... lol
Harry Warden Tuesday 8/04/2009 at 04:12 PM | 51539
I don't conder it bragging either I love seeing everyones collections. Hey, sometimes you might see something really cool you might not have known exsted otherwise :)
kweandee Tuesday 8/04/2009 at 06:25 PM | 51544
Thanks for the replies; it's good to hear that you all feel that way.

I wasn't even going to ask about it, but that post surprised me and got the gears turning.

I post a lot of pictures, and I'd hate to be thought of as a braggart.

I'm glad that appears to be an isolated opinion.
gummi Tuesday 8/04/2009 at 07:05 PM | 51545
I am relatively new to this hobby but personally I love seeing all the new scorse. Without the pictures I wouldn't know about half of the collectibles I know about. So I think showing photos of new scores and collection pics are what makes this hobby fun. If you hide your stuff why buy it in the first place. That's my two cents. Good topic.
Dunge44 Tuesday 8/04/2009 at 07:14 PM | 51546
I think half the reason we all collect is to share it with one another.
DrenTheLiar Tuesday 8/04/2009 at 08:58 PM | 51551
I don't post alot of pics of my stuff but I think that is mainly cause my collection is not where I want it to be yet but at the same time I do think I somewhatr post pics to "brag" in a way cause I am proud of that new score or whatever. I think it is great that people post pics as it has certainly been a help to me in seeing what i may or may not like.
cropsy Wednesday 8/05/2009 at 12:53 AM | 51561
Being in this hobby for as long as I have, I honestly know for a fact that there are "collectors" out there that only collect to show it off. That is an honest fact from my point of view.

Those people are very few and far between, but they are in fact out there. I have seen people spend thousands upon thousands of dollars for something to just show it off and sell it a week later for something else.

I have seen people get all pissed off because not enough people posted responses to an expenve score. I have seen people buy something expenve just because they knew they were the only ones that could afford it. All of these instances are "collectors" who are only collecting to show off.

There are also those "collectors" out there that post just to say look what I have and what you don't or cannot or can't afford.....trust me they are out there. You can figure out these people over time.....

Now...do I see the average collector posting stuff they got in as showing off? Of course not....but that doesn't ignore the fact that they are indeed out there.

take care, Tommy
Homicidal9 Wednesday 8/05/2009 at 01:42 AM | 51564
I love seeing what people have because Im fascinated by the art and also it helps me decide on what to get or not get.
ny ghoul Wednesday 8/05/2009 at 04:27 AM | 51571
I think for the most part people are excited to get a new piece in and they want to share that excitement with their fellow collectors who can appreciate it.

When it comes to large collection pics, that's a great way to learn and see what's out there. When I was new to the hobby I would often look through other people's collection pics and if there was something that caught my eye, I would ask questions. Most collectors are more than happy to share information about a certain piece.
lblambert Wednesday 8/05/2009 at 04:40 AM | 51574
I think for the most part people are excited to get a new piece in and they want to share that excitement with their fellow collectors who can appreciate it.

When it comes to large collection pics, that's a great way to learn and see what's out there. When I was new to the hobby I would often look through other people's collection pics and if there was something that caught my eye, I would ask questions. Most collectors are more than happy to share information about a certain piece.

I know what you mean Lee.

I have a few pieces in my collection now that I might not have known about if it hadn't been for pictures that you posted.

I have seen people spend thousands upon thousands of dollars for something to just show it off and sell it a week later for something else.

I have seen people get all pissed off because not enough people posted responses to an expenve score.

Yeah, I've seen both of these things happen before as well.

I'll never understand buying an expenve piece, showing it off proudly, and then selling it the next week, but it does seem to happen a lot.

I think in my years of collecting, I've only sold three or four items at the most.
gummi Wednesday 8/05/2009 at 05:38 AM | 51577
Being in this hobby for as long as I have, I honestly know for a fact that there are "collectors" out there that only collect to show it off. That is an honest fact from my point of view.

Those people are very few and far between, but they are in fact out there. I have seen people spend thousands upon thousands of dollars for something to just show it off and sell it a week later for something else.

I have seen people get all pissed off because not enough people posted responses to an expenve score. I have seen people buy something expenve just because they knew they were the only ones that could afford it. All of these instances are "collectors" who are only collecting to show off.

There are also those "collectors" out there that post just to say look what I have and what you don't or cannot or can't afford.....trust me they are out there. You can figure out these people over time.....

Now...do I see the average collector posting stuff they got in as showing off? Of course not....but that doesn't ignore the fact that they are indeed out there.

take care, Tommy So true
kaizu Wednesday 8/05/2009 at 02:07 PM | 51593