Forums Horror Collectibles
Recommendation for dealing with Trancas

Let your voice be heard. Write a mature letter (not an email, they can be screened) to Malek Akkad, Chairman & CEO, Trancas International Films. Let him know that you're upset by Trancas's recent actions. Let him know that as a result, you will no longer purchase their products. Let him know that you will not be buying tickets to their movies. Let him know that you will tell your friends. And let him know that attacking your hardcore base over a few bucks is no way to treat your most loyal fans.

This is the best thing we can do as a community.

Let your voices be heard:

Trancas International Films Attn: Malek Akkad 2021 Pontius Avenue 2nd floor Los Angeles, CA 90025
zephro Wednesday 8/19/2009 at 02:37 AM | 52721
Thanks for the info brother....my letter goes out tomorrow.
ny ghoul Wednesday 8/19/2009 at 03:27 AM | 52725
I'm writing one up, still editing before I send.

Good of you to post this Zephro.

Let's get em!

DarkArtist81 Wednesday 8/19/2009 at 03:34 AM | 52728
I agree that this is by far the best thing to do. The threads on the boards is certainly not the way to do it as we all know we are pissed off about this but it isn't like Akkad is reading these boards or I highly doubt he is.
cropsy Wednesday 8/19/2009 at 11:56 AM | 52762
My goal is to get a 100 letters on Melek’s desk.
zephro Wednesday 8/19/2009 at 03:35 PM | 52781
I emailed Brian before this was posted. I might just actually mail what I said to Brian to Malek as well.
DrenTheLiar Wednesday 8/19/2009 at 04:51 PM | 52785
I will indeed type a letter up and send it too him as well...

--Ryan
Harry Warden Wednesday 8/19/2009 at 06:49 PM | 52790
im playing devils avocate here but if you owned the rights to something and others were producing something that you owned without permion wouldn't you want it to stop also?

pamelavoorheesRIP Wednesday 8/19/2009 at 10:32 PM | 52799
im playing devils avocate here but if you owned the rights to something and others were producing something that you owned without permion wouldn't you want it to stop also?That's right. These letter's most likely won't make a bit of difference.
SithLord Wednesday 8/19/2009 at 11:18 PM | 52801
Well think about 90% of our collections.

Jason masks, masks from a multitude of films, made in very much the same way as Myers masks.

Most of the stuff out there is unlicensed representations.

I still think it will change eventually though, just once H2 has come and gone and they don't care anymore....
DarkArtist81 Thursday 8/20/2009 at 12:22 AM | 52815
im playing devils avocate here but if you owned the rights to something and others were producing something that you owned without permion wouldn't you want it to stop also?your right as much as i love collecting i fully understand that a lot of laws are being broken. if this is true and they do go after it i wont be suprised because like you said someone else paid money to have the rights. it sucks and i always look at it this way, enjoy it while it lasts.
joelsparks Thursday 8/20/2009 at 01:12 AM | 52828
i have to agree that this all does blow. one question though. what are you guys saying in these letters? do you say please allow us to be able to do this because its not that big of deal or what?
El Diablo Thursday 8/20/2009 at 02:06 AM | 52836
i have to agree that this all does blow. one question though. what are you guys saying in these letters? do you say please allow us to be able to do this because its not that big of deal or what?

Here is what I wrote, see if it makes sense to you:

Dear Malek Akkad,

I am an enormous fan of the Halloween franchise, which started all the way back 1977 when I saw the movie for the first time in a screening room at Irwin Yablan’s house.

My father was VP of Distribution for Paramount at the time and Irwin and my father Ted were good friends.

Ever nce that first showing, I was hooked.

I’ve seen every movie on opening night, have bought every piece of licensed merchandise, attended all of the conventions, bought all the VHS, DVD and Blu Ray releases and have bought numerous fan-made masks.

I have been a major supporter of the franchise and the company your father, whom I’ve talked to many times, started and the traditions he established with Trancas.

However, I’m writing you today to inform you of my frustrations by the recent actions taken by Trancas, represented by your employee Brian Rayman.

Mr. Raymond has been harasng Halloween fan-based webtes, threatening to close them down, has been attacking EBAY auctions for fan-based masks and has been incredibly disrespectful and insulting to any inquires made regarding copyrights and trademarks owned by Trancas.

I understand Trancas protecting its copyrights, how the big question I have for you is why attack your most loyal supporters?

Fans that go to fan based tes and trade replica masks among themselves, represent your hardcore fan base.

I would think that Trancas would support these tes, which keep the character alive and fresh in people’s minds.

I would also assume that you understand that these are the fans that not only buy replica masks, but also every licensed product they can get their hands on.

Over the past 30 years, there isn’t a ngle licensed product I haven’t bought with Myers on it.

For this new movie alone, I’ve bought two t-shirts, both posters and I’m waiting for the toys and comics.

But, the recent actions taken by Trancas against its hardcore fans has really disenchanted me and I feel that if these attacks do not stop, I’m going to return what I bought and not buy anything else, including tickets to the movie, licensed product, etc.

Additionally, I will make the same recommendations to my friends.

I don’t think a few EBAY auctions and handful of replica masks is worth the damage that results from attacks on your hardcore fan-base and I hope you understand that my letter to you also represents the same disenchantment felt by many of the members of the Myers fan-based boards that I frequent, in spite of Mr. Rayman’s comments that we are tiny and completely ingnificant.

I hope you will take action to make these attacks stop.

Best regards
zephro Thursday 8/20/2009 at 03:31 AM | 52844
Thats a great letter, Zephro!
Evildsm Thursday 8/20/2009 at 04:54 AM | 52849
Thats a great letter, Zephro

Thanks Now write yours

;)
zephro Thursday 8/20/2009 at 07:55 PM | 52879
nice letter bro, one thing that i wonder though is would it help in posbly bringing up that the reason all these fan made masks are happening is because they havent put out a good replica EVER?
Johnny Bisco Thursday 8/20/2009 at 09:20 PM | 52892
im playing devils avocate here but if you owned the rights to something and others were producing something that you owned without permion wouldn't you want it to stop also?An excellent point but one which raises another question. Does anyone here know for a fact what exactly Trancas owns the rights to?
lblambert Friday 8/21/2009 at 02:27 AM | 52932
Thats a great letter, Zephro

Thanks Now write yours

You already did the work for me.. LOL

Copy, past, change name and date, print and send.

Its that easy. LOL
Evildsm Friday 8/21/2009 at 05:01 AM | 52946
I am taking a slightly different de. With all do respect to everyones opinions, I feel that the underground myers mask scene is not on just it is 100% legal. With few exceptions, the majority of the masks we have grown to know and love are independent artist sculpts, thereby, making them originals. Any likeness is mere coincidence (speaking from a legal aspect) If anyone has a right to be upset by all this it would be William Shatner lol. After all, im sure he wouldnt appreciate a company he has never delt with claiming rights to HIS likeness. Maybe that is the answer in itself. To refer to all the independent masks as Kirk shapes... I understand the concern of someone "owning" the rights to something and feeling as if they are long money to reproductions but seriously... when was the last time an OFFICIAL mask has come close to any we own or make? I personally take this as a potive for the myers community. A lot of companies (independent mask makers ) Have really gotten out of control with their pricing. The $2000 NAG KIRK for example. They really need to step back and rethink why they are making myers masks.... For the love of, or the profit of.Until then Myers collecting is

Cannibal-69 Friday 8/21/2009 at 11:34 AM | 52956
so you send a letter to a company that may own the rights and ask them if its ok to use their license to make money or buy something thats non licensed. im just saying i think that would do more harm than good.

pamelavoorheesRIP Saturday 8/22/2009 at 02:37 PM | 53038
so you send a letter to a company that may own the rights and ask them if its ok to use their license to make money or buy something thats non licensed. im just saying i think that would do more harm than good.I think you missed the point.

These guys have known and have let the replica market go for 30 years.

Now, a former replica collector and web master of a fan based te gets a job at Trancas, thanks to Sean Clark, and goes on a rampage to shut everyone down, because he now runs a licensed te, that sounds a little personal to me.

I remember talking about the replica market to Akkad Sr. and he told me "I love it, it keeps this character alive and well."

Plus, this employee is going about this all wrong.

He is rude and completely unprofesonal, calling people kids, assuming peoples financial potion and telling them that they are the lowest of the low as far as fans go.

Why isn't the legal department the one contacting people?

I wonder if Akkad even knows what is going on.

That is why I wrote the letter.

I would think a Dr. of Marketing would have better things to do with their time 7 days before the opening of a big movie than to harass people on boards and on EBAY.
zephro Saturday 8/22/2009 at 09:33 PM | 53057
so you send a letter to a company that may own the rights and ask them if its ok to use their license to make money or buy something thats non licensed. im just saying i think that would do more harm than good.I think you missed the point.

no i agree that it sucks and its a form of art but at the same time if they own the rights they can do whatever they want to do with the license. if you owned the license and paid a shit ton of money for it would it be cool to let people use it without asking?

pamelavoorheesRIP Saturday 8/22/2009 at 09:36 PM | 53058

no i agree that it sucks and its a form of art but at the same time if they own the rights they can do whatever they want to do with the license. if you owned the license and paid a shit ton of money for it would it be cool to let people use it without asking?I can't argue that point because I agree with you, but I'm not so sure Malek is pissed, and I'm not alone on that suspicion.My recommendation to Trancas, send out partner agreements, not cease and decease letters.

I know for a fact that a lot of independent mask makers would be happy to give up $0.20 on the dollar to say that they are selling a licensed mask.

Chris
zephro Saturday 8/22/2009 at 11:02 PM | 53061
Once again... I think it is bullshit and it really makes me not to go see the movie at all... I want to go beat this guys ass, see if he calls me a kid then

Cannibal-69 Sunday 8/23/2009 at 02:33 PM | 53107

My recommendation to Trancas, send out partner agreements, not cease and decease letters.

I know for a fact that a lot of independent mask makers would be happy to give up $0.20 on the dollar to say that they are selling a licensed mask.

Chris

But then the indie artist would lose money and probably raise the price to make up for his loss. So then we would be paying maybe $400 for a Psycho instead of the normal $350. I don't know about the rest of you but I certainly wouldn't be happy with that.
DrenTheLiar Sunday 8/23/2009 at 02:43 PM | 53111

My recommendation to Trancas, send out partner agreements, not cease and decease letters.

Chris

But then the indie artist would lose money and probably raise the price to make up for his loss. So then we would be paying maybe $400 for a Psycho instead of the normal $350. I don't know about the rest of you but I certainly wouldn't be happy with that.My thoughts are that the person concerned with the profit margin getting cut into will pass the additional cost on to the consumer. Personally I do it for the challenge and I'm happy with anything over breaking even to fuel future projects for fun.

That's buness. You can't expect to maker to eat it all although asking 350 for a mask is nuts IMO. That's some ck profit there.
FaceDealers Monday 8/24/2009 at 01:46 AM | 53127
Anyone hear anything new? Looks likte there is a whole new slew of masks posted from indies.
FaceDealers Wednesday 8/26/2009 at 09:28 AM | 53275