Forums Horror Collectibles
Rob Zombie to Remake 'The Blob'

According to Variety, this is what Rob had to say about his veron of The Blob: `My intention is not to have a big red blobby thing, that’s the first thing I want to change,' Zombie said. `That gigantic Jello-looking thing might have been scary to audiences in the 1950s, but people would laugh now. I have a totally different take, one that’s pretty dark.'

Rob continues, I’d been looking to break out of the horror genre, and this really is a science fiction movie about a thing from outer space,' Zombie said. `I intend to make it scary, and the great thing is, I have the freedom once again to take it in any crazy direction I want to. Even more than `Halloween,' where I had to deal with accepted iconic characters like Michael Myers and Laurie Strode. `The Blob’ is more concept than specific storyline with characters, so I can go nuts with it.'

There's already uproar amongst genre fans on the web about this. The fact that he refers to The Blob as sci-fi and not horror, the fact that he says his vion won't include 'a big red blobby thing' and so forth. The fact of the matter is that the '88 veron of the flick didn't have a 'a big red blobby thing' either, it was more pinkish/purple/orangeish...ok, I'm nitpicking and at times it was sorta red, but still. Do I think it's a good idea Rob? No, no I don't. But I'm intrigued to see what Rob does with it.

According to the article, the intention is to make an R-rated film that will cost around $30 million and the article calls comparisons to films like Cloverfield and Distric 9. No distributor is locked down yet but Genre Company is currently in pre-production on the independently financed Darren Bousman-directed remake Mother’s Day.'Rob will write the script while he's on tour and expects to have a finished script by about December.

Rob, just change the name, don't call it The Blob. What do you guys think about this news?
Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Friday 8/28/2009 at 07:55 PM | 53389
kweandee Friday 8/28/2009 at 11:53 PM | 53406
I agree..change the name make it "milar" with a different name it'll be an original as oppose to a remake..It makes more sense that way.
zmbgraphics Saturday 8/29/2009 at 03:45 PM | 53454
it was remade in the 1980s already

just let it be man hmmmmm let me guess, starring bill mosely as steve sheri moon as jane d haig as the old man ken foree as the sherrifanother round of white trash coming up

Johnny Bisco Saturday 8/29/2009 at 04:11 PM | 53457
it was remade in the 1980s already

just let it be man hmmmmm let me guess, starring bill mosely as steve sheri moon as jane d haig as the old man ken foree as the sherrifanother round of white trash coming upI agree. This is probably how it will end up. I don't know though, Bill Mosley kinda branched off there with Repo the genetic opera..he may be headed towards something greater and I don't mean his cameo's in Days of our Lives.
zmbgraphics Saturday 8/29/2009 at 04:47 PM | 53462
Cant Rob come up with something original of his own???
jasonfan_19 Tuesday 9/01/2009 at 11:37 AM | 53704
is rob zombie just going to do remakes
jad Saturday 9/19/2009 at 01:50 PM | 54993
I guess I wouldn't mind this as much if I didn't love the origional. I still don't call this horror or sci-fi seperatly as I call if sci-fi horror. Zombie does have me a bit annoyed at the fact he claimed he would never do a remake and now seems to be doing nothing but remakes. I don't totally fault him though as anyone would take the money I am sure he is being offered. I don't want to see all the same ol crew in this(Sherri being the one I really don't want to see) but wouldn't be shocked either. I'd take d and Bill as I love both of them but I would prefer to see him work with all new people. I don't think that the need for all the "white trash" look is needed in this either. I want to have faith in this but i really am having a hard time with the idea of not having a "big red blobby thing" in it does scare the hell out of me. It doesn't have to be a certain color but IMO it still needs to stay near that same idea.
cropsy Saturday 9/19/2009 at 03:12 PM | 54998
Cant Rob come up with something original of his own???

Guess not...

kweandee Saturday 9/19/2009 at 03:42 PM | 55004
I'm sure Rob will cast Sherri Moon as the Blob.
Horror Drunk Wednesday 9/30/2009 at 05:02 AM | 55504

LOL...

kweandee Wednesday 9/30/2009 at 05:27 AM | 55506

LOL...

LMAO
kaizu Wednesday 9/30/2009 at 05:53 AM | 55507
Another Rob Zombie film so Im stoked. Cloverfield? I hope it goes nowhere near that storyline or film style. If Rob is going to veer away from the original look of the Blob I hope he goes for something like The Thing or even Night of the Creeps.

Exciting news though.
ny ghoul Wednesday 9/30/2009 at 01:09 PM | 55513
Another Rob Zombie film so Im stoked. Cloverfield? I hope it goes nowhere near that storyline or film style. If Rob is going to veer away from the original look of the Blob I hope he goes for something like The Thing or even Night of the Creeps.

Exciting news though.

That is an idea I didn't have right off but I like the idea of it being like the idea of change like The thing.
cropsy Friday 10/02/2009 at 12:01 AM | 55605
I don't know about you guys but I'm really excited about this. I think Rob Zombie is a great director and just because Halloween 2 didn't surpass my expectations doesn't mean his next movie won't. And what do you mean he can't come up with anything original. What about House of 1,000 Corpses, Devil's Rejects and The Haunted World of El Superbeasto? These are 3 out of his 5 released films and they are all original, all awesome. Also, isn't the fact that his interpretation is original from Halloween '78 the reason many people don't like Rob Zombie? I'm not trying to start an argument, I'm just saying. I'm not a huge fan of Sherri Moon but I would love to see the rest of his cast again. I think he is a great director and I have to say I'll be a fan of his for a long time to come.
weaponx Thursday 11/19/2009 at 09:33 PM | 58199

Exciting news though.

That is an idea I didn't have right off but I like the idea of it being like the idea of change like The thing. he isnt talented enough to pull off something like the thing, as far as im concerned zombie isnt good enough to get first huff of john carpenters farts
Johnny Bisco Friday 11/20/2009 at 11:54 AM | 58236