Forums Off Topic
hard to believe its been 8 years..................

never forget!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Johnny Bisco Friday 9/11/2009 at 10:26 AM | 54441
Yeah, it's crazy that it's been 8 yrs already.

To think that my time in the Navy was so long ago...

I still remember vividly where I was and what I was doing...

It was my first year in, I was in my barracks building, drinking and wandering the halls with my friends.

One of my superiors was this supply PO who always kept his door open and drank with the rest of the guys, but he was the angriest dude you'd ever meet... just pissed all the time.

He stepped out of the hall and motioned for us to come closer, and all he said was... "You guys might want to see this."

We stepped into his room, he gave us all beers and quietly sat down as the news played on the TV.

The first plane had just struck, they were trying to figure out what the deal was... we all sat quietly, playing out different scenarios or posbilities in our minds.

And then the second plane struck.

We all looked at one another, and the PO stood up and said... "Well.... that ain't no accident.

You guys better enjoy today, because come tomorrow...we're going.

I don't know where, but we aren't taking that lying down".

We watched in stunned lence for 30 or so minutes before the anger set in.

We went to our room and started packing our seabags.

We didn't have orders to do so, but we knew they were coming.

An emergency meeting was called, our squadron was called to the hangar bay that night and our CO gave a moving speech that had us all in tears or close.

The next day we were on our way out to sea.

I will never forget it... and I hope nobody else does either.

I will never drop my guard until we have confirmation of the death or capture of Osama Bin Laden.

DarkArtist81 Friday 9/11/2009 at 01:33 PM | 54451
it seems like it was just yesterday. That was the day I realized that we in fact were not invincible. At one point, while watching it happen, I actually just broke down and cried like I had never cried before.

I have always made a point to do an entire lesson plan on the attacks every anniversary and today was no exception. I had one student leave the room crying. I had a special education teacher cry because a coun of hers died in the attacks. My students were only 5 years old when it happened, and most of them have no idea was really happened. I will never forget that day, nor will I ever forget the people we lost. I will also make sure that my students never, ever forget what happened, and how truly blessed they are to be living in the U.S....

take care..... Tommy
Homicidal9 Friday 9/11/2009 at 09:42 PM | 54477
It literally is tough for me to even think back to that day. All I can say is our memories will be forever etched with what happened on that horrid day. It still gives me chills to think about those towers smoking....

The greatest feeling in the world though happened shortly after that day. We as a country all came together and it was beautiful. It's a shame it didn't last...
Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Friday 9/11/2009 at 10:46 PM | 54487
It was hell guys. Living in NYC and close to the te we were literally choking on the ash and poisonous smoke. It was terrifying and it was an experience that almost seemed unreal. The fear; the sorrow; the RUMOURS...it was insane.

Factor in NYC was LOCKED DOWN......F-16's flying through the night sky. NYC is a huge city of 8 million people yet almost EVERYONE I knew had a family or friend that was affected in some way. It was a nightmare. NEVER FORGET....NEVER FORGIVE. RIP and long live the USA!
ny ghoul Friday 9/11/2009 at 11:06 PM | 54488
It is hard to imagine it really has been that long. I remember where I was and what i was doing when I heard.

As Booman said though i wish the way we all had come together lasted.
cropsy Friday 9/11/2009 at 11:33 PM | 54492
It is hard to imagine it really has been that long. I remember where I was and what i was doing when I heard.

As Booman said though i wish the way we all had come together lasted.

yeah man that bothered me....people were really nice with each other and patriotic for a few months and then that faded away.
ny ghoul Friday 9/11/2009 at 11:46 PM | 54493
RIP
BrandyWine Friday 9/11/2009 at 11:46 PM | 54494
I know this may very well be mistaken for whant i am trying to say and I certainly not but I was thinking about this more last night. This is alot of what me and a friend discussed and I am kind of throwing it all together.

9-11 was one of the greatest days and worst days for all of us. It was great in the fact it showed while not as imposble for us to be attacked on a

large scale as so many thought especially nce nobody had done so nce Pearl Harbor but showed how we COULD actually come together in a

time of horrible tragedy and certainly make us more of a WHOLE nation instead of one that has been very divided or better less PATRIOTIC. People came together sending funds to help and manpower to help search for the fallen victims. People actually were caring and unfortunately that is something very lacking these days. It showed also how people could join together in the face of such a scary time to take down a plane meant for another target and not giving into the terrorists where it could have killed even more innocent people.

The worst parts certainly the fallen victims of this horrible attack and the friends and familly this effected on personal levels. To me it was one of the best but also the worst in that we showed how patriotic we were or culd be that it died off or certainly has seemed to. I used to see flags flying in most everyones house right after and yet not I see a few here and there. They used to have if nothing else the flag inserts that came in the paper. It shouldn't have taken a tragic event like this for us all to get behind our men and women of the armed forces IMO.

I don't remember all of the conversation at this time as I am just waking up but I kind of wanted to see what others thought about this and I really hope nobody was offended by this as I just thought it to be an interesting topic and thanks to all who have served on this board and all across this nation.
cropsy Saturday 9/12/2009 at 09:28 AM | 54526
Watching all this footage of it is just haunting. To try and imagine what it was like to be in those buildings of even in New York is just beyond me.
DrenTheLiar Saturday 9/12/2009 at 12:57 PM | 54535
I bet there's not one person who doesn't know exactly what they were doing that day.

I was substitute teaching in a high school.

The class room I was in was a stadium seating set up.

Kids weren't suppose to be in the halls during class time but two came running in yelling "We're under attack, the countries under attack"!

They were spouting off about one of the towers hit by something and the white house getting hit (we know that wasn't true).So we flicked on the TV and watched as the second plane hit.

It was very surreal to watch but more so with a classroom full of students, to see their reaction and what it meant for them.9/11 was gnificant to all of us but I think it is symbolic of millennial generation of kids.

They live in a United States where this could happen, where one of their fellow classmates could walk into their school shooting up the place at any given moment . . . . they live in a time of fear.

That stuff hardly EVER happen when I was in school nor did we even think of things like that, goes to show the differences in generations even here in the U.S.

But on 9/11 everybody put their political differences ade and the U.S. became what it once was.

Like Booman said, it didn't last long and that's a shame.

Those who died rather in the planes, towers or wherever . . . they died so that our country could have the moment of unity, a unity our country had not seen in years . . . but it was such a HIGH PRICE to pay.

I know people who had family and friends who died that day, and if you did too then my heart goes out to you.
DaShape Saturday 9/12/2009 at 03:28 PM | 54542
i didnt go to work that day (i was ill)

i turned on the tv to see a plane hit the trade center

i thought "man what asshole lost control of the plane and did that"

then i saw the second one hit live and i said thats no accidemt we are under attack!

then the pentagon

then the other plane that went down in shanksville

then i wondered how many more planes were out there

i lived near selfridge air force base at the time and i remember hearing jet after jet take off and wondered what the hell the world was coming to
Johnny Bisco Wednesday 9/16/2009 at 01:39 AM | 54794
I remember hearing that there was a guy down at the store in Andover Maine that day jumping up and down for joy that we had been attacked. I hate to say it but i am glad I wasn't there as I would have knocked him out. That was one of the longest days ever and I even think we went home early that day if I remember right.
cropsy Wednesday 9/16/2009 at 01:42 AM | 54796